Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Can you summarize the customization of options you did to make Hotsync work?

--Denis
Not at Home tonight so unable to confirm the exact steps on and between PC and N800 running Garnet VM however, from memory :-

Right click on the palm hotsync icon on right hand side of Windows toolbar and select custom hotsync. Make sure that the options for transferring the Address book, Notes data etc, are set "PC to Palm" (This ensures that data goes one way only, to get it onto N800 etc)

I set all the other options under hotsync to "do nothing" to ensure only data of interest was transferred during that specific hotsync. (The very first run I tried was set to defaults, where it appeared that only apps were transferred and not the data for Address Book and notes etc, failed to complete sync with errors in log)

Make sure that the "Network" option is selected as a Hotsync option on PC to allow network and wireless connection.

I then wirelessly connected my N800 to my network and then within Garnet VM, I set the IP of my desktop PC. (Which allows the N800/Garnet VM to communicate and palm hotsync software running on desktop)

I did notice issues surrounding how to synchronise data that was originally held on the Palm devices SD card, prior to first synchronising with the desktop and second the N800/Garnet VM. The data that was originally on SD card did not seem to know where to be put within the Garnet VM environment (i.e. it did have a Palm SD = N800 ?? relationship setting) I have not resolved this yet.

My advice would be to also read Palm’s FAQ on how to re-synchronise palm data on the desktop, with a palm that has been reset; as this is essentially what we are doing to have data from one Palm added to another and in this case Garnet VM

Hope this information is helpful.

Does the latest palm desktop work in sync with outlook exchange?

How long does it take for an N800 on standby (low power or off?) to turn on, open the Garnet emulator, and view addresses or calendar entries in the PIM?

Can the Garnet emu be left running for quicker access without eating the battery?

Thank you.

Originally Posted by coralfire View Post
Was able to get Slingplayer to install. Got the same issue with the password. You have to enter it with graffiti for some reason, using the onscreen keyboard gives the error about needing to be 21 characters. I was able to connect to sling box.
2 Issues:
It would crash when trying to play a video stream.
It would act like it was streaming in audio only mode but did not getting any sound.

Still trying to tweak the settings and see if anything changes.
RE: SlingPlayer on GVM: I got to the same point as you. I turned my cable box on manually, because everytime I tried to issue a remote control command, SlingPlayer crashed. Even with the SlingPlayer logged in and a video signal on, I still did not have anything displayed on SlingPlayer. It stayed on for a few seconds before it crashed also. If you have any further luck, please let me know.

Thanks!

@Grench: You can leave the Garmnet emu running. Then it takes a couple of seconds to launch the applications, i.e. not instantly as on a real Palm.
To quit the full-screen PalmOS programs hit escape (the hardware button with the curved arrow). To leave it running, hit the 'home' hardware button. Then you can switch to Hildon, and/or later switch between running PalmOS applications (i.e. pretty much instantly), the emulator itself, and native Hildon apps.

Originally Posted by ks1g View Post
Looking for an alternative to the hotsync. Are the Palm app data files accessible, or are they part of the VM binary? I'm not sure I still have Palm Desktop software available, but I can get my .pdb files off my ancient Clie. I've downloaded the N770 VM, so we should see later tonite how well it works.
I think the installed files are hidden inside that virtual Palm storage areas it creates.

.prc and .pdb files can be installed with 'install' from the emulator. Haven't found a method of getting them out from there yet, but maybe I'll try installing FileZ..

Some apps I installed by sending them via BT to the N800, let the N800 store it as a file, then install the .prc or .pdb from GVM.

Were you able to sync the Date Book? Not having any luck here.

Hi,

I've been unable to hot sync my Palm data to my N800 because after entering the IP address of my computer, and tapping sync, I get an error message saying IP address not recognized. I have tried this with 3 different computers running a desktop software. I've set the hotsync setting to network. I've been able to install Palm apps by using the USB cable to load them into my Nokia's card from my computer, and then tapping INSTALL and installing from the Nokia's card. But this will not work for entering Palm datebook and addressbook data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Due to security restrictions I cannot get my N800 on the same network as my work computer, therefore the hotsync is not working. Assuming there is no way to get this to sync via the cable, can I copy certain palm files from my PC to my SD card or the the N800? If so what and how? Thank you!

I haven't used hotsync (from Palmdesktop) in years, but are those 'certain files' on the PC .pdb files? If they are, you can just copy them over to the N800 and install them with the 'install' option in gvm launcher. (I do this all the time but then I get the files directly from my Palm T3, either with FileZ or from the backup I hotsynched to my Linux PC with the pilot-link tools.)

Tags
garnet, palm