Active Topics

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post

As for restoring the apps and data.. unless FileZ can find something then I have no idea. I looked deep down into the gvm.store file a while ago and couldn't figure out anything. I have resorted to making a backup of the gvm.store file itself, so that I can just copy it back from the SD card in case of problems (the problems I used to have was that when launching applications which used mathlib.prc everything would burn and die and disappear. That's at least fixed in the latest beta).
TA-t3

Would you mind pasting the command line to copy the gvm.store file. This will show its location and if you renamed etc. Do I need to gainroot first?
Thanks.

I've reinstalled several apps and so far everything is working again.
BTW filez found nothing extra except itself after restoring that app first.

That's easy enough. You don't need to be root, the file is in your home directory.
Open an xterm and do:
Code:
cp .gvm/gvm.store /media/mmc1/.
(or use some other location, e.g. mmc2.)
To restore:
Code:
cp /media/mmc1/gvm.store .gvm/.
Or, something that's probably a bit better: Include the small config files too:
Code:
tar cvf /media/mmc1/gvm-backup.tar .gvm
To restore:
Code:
tar xvf /media/mmc1/gvm-backup.tar
All of the above is executed from your home directory, just opening an xterm will put you in the right spot.
(The commands are simple enough that if you have e.g. load-applet-run installed you could use its 'Run' command with Save and have 2 commands in the applet, for backup and restore)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
i encourage all GVM users to backup their files as stated above. i can confirm it works, i had my app list wiped out after playing around with making direct shortcuts to gvm apps via terminal. after restoring my backup, all's well again, including registration data! whew!

lazuli,

What did you try exactly that wiped your apps? I have been playing around a lot with the command line and never lost them.

/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -z 1.5 -L 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000

i made that shortcut on personal launcher. the shortcut worked but when i tried to launch the GVM desktop (most of my apps require registration data), it failed to refresh several times. after reboot only the default apps remain.

That sounds similar to how I lost all my apps. I left one open and closed the desktop. Then opened the desktop to launch another app and everything crashed and wiped all the new installed apps.

I'm now careful to close any open app to return to the desktop and the close that.

Just a thought - since the Palm O/S is not really multitasking, perhaps when one app is open (w/o the desktop) and then the desktop is launced to open another app, it doesn't know about the previously open app and everything crashes. ie: it doesn't know that it is supposed to close the open one first?

hmm.. if i remember correctly, with the gvm desktop closed, i launched the emulator directly from the shortcut i made on personal launcher, but i was turned off by the fact that all apps requiring hotsync id's and passwords are back to their trial period states so i closed the emulator. i didn't modify any registration data.

then when i opened the gvm desktop, all my apps disappeared and i kept getting failed to refresh errors. i'm thinking that directly launching apps that require registration data somehow conflicts with the settings of the gvm desktop.

so no shortcuts for me

The main app that I use has a registration key which is in a .deb if I remember correctly. Anyway, I get no problems with this programme at all launching from the osso-statusbar app. I suppose different s/w vendors use different key systems but I'm surprised it conflicts. Can you use a command line launch for non-keyed apps withut problem?

I really like the quick launch - it makes a big difference for speed and simplicity of startup.

I am trying to add the following command line to the command list in the osso-statusbar application (to backup my GVM). Running from xTerm it works fine and gives a 64MB file. Running it from the command list it stops after creating a 1kB file. I presume I need to add quotes or perhaps more fully specify the path(s). Anyone know what I need?

tar cvf /media/mmc1/gvm-backup.tar .gvm

I've found it:

tar cvf /media/mmc1/gvm-backup.tar /home/user/.gvm

Last edited by dfinch; 2008-08-27 at 14:16. Reason: found solution

It could be that it's blocking due to output from the command. Try removing the 'v', i.e.

tar cf /media/mmc1/gvm-backup.tar .gvm

(that'll make the command silent, unless there are errors)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm