Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by miind View Post
It actualy works pretty ok over the telnet connection. I remotecontrol my myth with this tool though I have a problem. It works very nice to run around in the menues, but after turning on a movie it seems to stop working!? No volume, osd or not even escape work while mplayer is playing the movie. When I get back to myth again I handle it. Anyone know why this happens?
By "movies" you mean something from the "videos" section, right? Not "recordings"? At least I can control "recording" just fine with this remote. I haven't used it for "videos" or dvds since my computer is not exclusively used for myth but other stuff too, so I normally just play those under Totem or whatever.

If videos is what you mean, my guess is that it sounds like using mplayer is the problem since the remote (over the telnet connection) controls myth and not other programs. Have you tried using the internal player for watching videos? Look there:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythVideo

It seems to say that you can specify "internal" to have myth take care of videos as well, maybe that'd help. Unless there's a reason you want to use mplayer, better quality, interlacing or something etc? If not, give that a try, maybe the remote will work then. Hope this helps.

I am a newbie to the n800 and I was wondering if anyone has looked at using CCF files to control the layout in IRreco. I believe these are the configuration files used for Pronto remotes. If they could be used it would save a lot of work in programming codes and layouts.there are thousands of them already created. I know very little about programming or if they could be compatible, but it might be pretty cool if it could work

thanks for all your hard work.

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
First of all, a question to eXeonical: where are the remotes saved? I found the program data at /usr/lib/irreco but can't seem to locate where the user-created remotes are kept.
Irreco saves its configuration to /home/user/.irreco as like unix programs usually do.

So could you please let me know which files to copy over if I want to share my two humble myth remotes with you / whoever is interested. A warning though: they're not exactly masterpieces but I guess could be useful as a "first remote" to just test out the program.
Irreco "Remote" consists of three pieces: button styles, backend commands, and layout.

Buttonstyles specify what kind of buttons you can add to your remote.

Backend commands are the commands for example LIRC backend reads from a LIRC server.

And a layout is what stores the locations of the buttons and combines buttonstyles and command into the "Remote" which user sees.

As both layout and command are really setup specific i dont think they are wery usefull. But the buttonstyle graphics could be nice. Mostly because the buttonstyle graphics are the only thing you cant setup directly from Irreco.

And *ahem* since you asked for suggestions/feedback, here goes

First of all, I truly like this application A LOT. I've seen plenty of half-finished applications floating around here and in general, in other Linux forums, and it struck me how finished the look of this thing is. The buttons are beautiful and such, easy to use menus etc. So with all that positive spin in mind, here's a bunch of suggestions: (keep in mind that I've only used this with Myth, so these are all myth-specific things that I'd like to see when editing a remote for myself)
Thanks, Irreco is my Bachelor's Thesis work for my studies of software engineering. So i have tried to do it properly

The images are contiributions of other people, i cant really draw...

1) It'd be great to able to map more buttons. We have the major frontend functions available now (left, right, enter etc.) but there's still a bunch of very common ones missing. The important ones that come to mind right away are E (edit), R (record), P (pause), Z (skip commercials) and such, but there's plenty of commands you can use in a myth frontend. Things like "list upcoming episodes" etc. could be stuff that some people like to use. "Change input / capture card", b or something? That's a common one for people with multiple capture cards too. A lot of stuff can be configured under "Keys" in myth, so it'd be great to have all of these available and just be able to map your normal computer shortcut key, "r" or whatever, to a button you create, that sorta thing.
Yeah, someone should update MythTV backend..

2) An option for choosing landscape or portrait remotes. The N810 (and N800 I'm sure) resembles a "normal remote" more if you hold it lenghtwise but at the moment all the text in the buttons will be sideways if you do that. So would this be possible? "Flip remote" option or whatever that would flip the text in the buttons 90 degrees.
I have been thinking that i should someday write support for rotating and resizing buttons. But the problem is that the current button widget system is the oldest part of Irreco, and not werry pretty. I really should rewrite the whole thing if i touch it..

3) Different sizes of buttons. Some things, like the arrows, need to be big but I'd like to put a row of small, seldom used buttons at the bottom of a remote. So could we have smaller buttons to choose from?

4) Symbols to put into buttons instead of text. Things like the "power symbol" (red thing whatever) and arrows pointing at various directions etc. for the direction keys. Even putting your own pics into them? If possible.
The idea is currently that if you want custom buttons, then you read
http://irreco.garage.maemo.org/documentation.html and learn how to make custom buttonstyles. It could be nice to add buttonstyle editor to Irreco someday.

5) More shapes for buttons: Now we have circles and squares. Triangles (with the tip pointing either up, down, l or r) would be great for arrow keys.
There are few theme packs coming, they will have some icon buttons.

6) Scrollable remotes / second and third pages of buttons? For making a remote that's HUGE, as in larger than the screen, and that you could scroll while using. This way you could map everything under the sun onto a "page 2" of the remote, and just keep the first page nice and clean and go click a "list upcoming episodes" button or something from page 3 of your enormous remote when you need it. For myth, this would truly be needed if one were to use the N8X0 as the "main remote" for a frontend, otherwise you'd never be able to fit all the functions (assuming they can be mapped later, see #1) onto a remote.
Current consept for that is to create several remotes, and then use "Next remote" "Previous remote" And "Show Remote: _name_of_remote_" special commands. Next and previous remote commands are by default added to Plus and Minus hardkeys, so you can use those directly. You can also create a button add "Show Remote: _name_of_remote_" command to it, so that when you click the button Irreco changes the remote.

Also note that Command Controller configuration or device list is not Remote specific, so if you config your MythTV for one remote then you can use it from all remotes.

I think that's about it for now, hopefully all of that wasn't too unrealistic
Not at all

anyone know if lirc can send commands to mplayer??

Has anybody tried using Belkin 5-Port Network USB Hub (Around $80) and a usb Ir Transceiver/blaster as a cheper way to get the IR signals to the TV or stereo?

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
How about support for vdr? Should be very easy.
I took a look at that. Yes, it seems there is a similar API VDR than what MythTV has.

http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Svdrp

I'll see if i have time to implement it. Or does somebody want to volunteer?

Looking for IR transceivers on the net, I am having trouble finding one that meets my needs. I don't have ethernet in the room with my home theater system, though I do have wireless 802.11. Are there transceivers out there that have 802.11 capability?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Romania
I wonder if it's possible to use n800 + irreco as a wifi remote control for windows applications (movies/music players), maybe using winLirc and/or girder?
I would love to sit on my bed and control my pc (just simple actions like pause/play, next, volume +/-), not full control (I have VNC and rDesktop for that).

I second the request to send control commands to Girder http://www.promixis.com/, which can then do a myriad of things like send IR (single or complex macros), control home automation equipment, trigger events in Windows, etc.

I've been using a custom web interface that sends Ajax commands to Girder running on a small Windows PC and it works fairly well, but button layout is a pain and there are limitations (like having to hack support for the hard buttons, or no real press-and-hold repeat capability as that brings up the context menu in microb).

Irreco looks like an amazing alternative if the control portion could be implemented. Girder's web service is as simple as a GET call with two parameters (device name, command name), or I believe there's a port open for more direct command execution via TCP/IP.

Ok I hadn't actually installed Irreco on my n800 before writing the above, but I just did so and I have to say this is pretty awesome. Fantastic work!

What's involved with writing more back-end control modules? I might take a stab at a Girder interface if you're interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to LukeD For This Useful Post: