Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I'll look into that. the thread you link to seems to imply I need to boot from an sd card first though
Well, it is better but not strictly needed. When backing up live system you may end with some additional runtime garbage in the image but it doesn't hurt, better keep the system quiet when backing up. Also even with live system you are supposed to mount it again somewhere (like /opt) before backing up, don't use '/' path directly.
which AFAIK requires installing init.fs, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Well, no, even the stock initfs can boot from mmc but you need usb flasher to set the choice, there is no menu and only first found ext2 partition is used. When I created bootmenu, initfs could boot only from mmcblk0p1 which was not very useful for running cloned system. Later they added search_root_onmmc() which scans all mmc partitions for executable /sbin/init and first one is booted.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-06 at 08:04.

... unless you mean there's a way to convert that rsync into a flashable image I can use with the flasher program.
Yes, you can use mkfs.jffs2 also on linux desktop to create the image later. Linux/Mac flasher can write such image of rootfs (or initfs or kernel) separately. Sadly it cannot read it from device. Usage here
http://maemo.org/development/documen...sher_tool.html

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-06 at 08:40. Reason: link to flasher documentation added

in any event, since I couldn't turn it on, I couldn't reflash it. and yes I tried leaving it out overnight with and without the battery.
Could be faulty hardware or you may be victim of this http://blog.homac.de/?p=58 a.k.a Power up Drama http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673

As for installing initfs with bootmenu
You can still skip the final flashing part and download created initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image (and initfs.orig.jffs2 backup) to PC and flash via official flasher if you want to be extra safe.
so there is a way even if you don't want to use mtd-utils on device. Still, even completely erasing initfs partition is not enough to cause symptoms you saw. See also
http://maemo.org/development/documen...e.html#OSLayer
http://maemo.org/development/documen...ure.html#Flash

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
When backing up live system you may end with some additional runtime garbage in the image but it doesn't hurt, better keep the system quiet when backing up.
fair enough

Well, no, even the stock initfs can boot from mmc but you need usb flasher to set the choice,
really? ::looks::
is that the "set default root device" option? what's the syntax for that?

there is no menu and only first found ext2 partition is used. When I created bootmenu, initfs could boot only from mmcblk0p1 which was not very useful for running cloned system.
ok, this is the first I've ever heard about this. so if I were able to put an OS on an sd card, I could use the flasher to tell it to boot off it as long as it's p1? (what's the limitation here, that I can't have a fat32 partition for vm on the same card?)

Later they added search_root_onmmc() which scans all mmc partitions for executable /sbin/init and first one is booted.
define "later", I'm using what I believe is the first and only non-beta release of OS2008... or do you mean 'later' as in later hardware?

Yes, you can use mkfs.jffs2 also on linux desktop to create the image later. Linux/Mac flasher can write such image of rootfs (or initfs or kernel) separately.
neat, that looks promising, thanks. anyone have a link to a guide or something on how to use mkfs.jffs2 to make an image out of a folder/rsync?

Sadly it cannot read it from device.
bah, figures. that would be too easy, eh?

Could be faulty hardware or you may be victim of this http://blog.homac.de/?p=58 a.k.a Power up Drama http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673
yeah, that sounds like it alright. never thought about putting it in the freezer.

I'd love to see some sample scripts to accomplish this. I want to implement a similar backup system using rsync.

Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
If I do say so myself I am really good with backups and have one of my home computers backing up all my machines each night via rsync (much faster and only backs up the files that have changed).

When I got my N800 I added a script to back that up too. I set my home router to always issue the IT the same IP every time it connects via WiFi (also makes things easier to connect to for other things). Each night the script pings the IT and if it's online will SSH to it and backup securely via rsync, this backs up the entire tablet including any cards loaded.

I also added a few more things, using hard links on my backup box I can keep weeks of backups using a fraction of the space and if the IT is offline for more than 10 days then I get an e-mail each night until it gets backed up

Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
I'd love to see some sample scripts to accomplish this. I want to implement a similar backup system using rsync.
The cleaver stuff is really just one very long rsync command, e.g.
Code:
/usr/bin/rsync --bwlimit=512 -az --log-format=%f --numeric-ids --delete --rsh=ssh --stats --exclude-from=/backup/scripts/libs/host.example.com.exclude --link-dest=/backup/backups/host.example.com/2008-03-05-01 host.example.com:/ /backup/backups/host.example.com/2008-03-06-01
I actually blogged about it a while back if your interested (I really must finish building my website! )

All the scripting is just the checking that commands executed correctly and building up the above command.

I hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to dogsbody For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info!

so, I think doing daily rsyncs and compiling them to a flashable image is probably the best overall backup solution. can anyone point me to a reference on how to do this?

also, does anyone have any further information on booting from SD using the stock init.fs as fanoush noted? I'm curious what the limitations are.

can anyone point me to a reference on how to do this?.
mkfs.jffs2 is the command, see the link in post #3 for usage. Also try to search for 'rootfs' on www.maemo.org
also, does anyone have any further information on booting from SD using the stock init.fs as fanoush noted? I'm curious what the limitations are.
Check README.txt inside initfs_flasher.tgz and then maybe re-read this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: