Active Topics

Notices

Is there a way to zoom in/out in the map view?
I second this, I guess you're using the iPhone webpage, and iPhone users can do their two finger tricks to zoom or so I understand, I wonder if it would be possible to hook into this somehow.

I'll grab the code in a minute and take a look at adding the liblocation stuff.

I've just had a look at the code. It doesn't look like any location accuracy information is uploaded (i.e. the thing that gives the blue circle around your location). This does work when using the maemo-geolocation plugin in the normal browser, so there must be something it's using that we could feed it.

Using the webkit browser does make the map easier to use (e.g. scrolling), and if we could hook into the zooming stuff that would be great.

I still think that updates should be done with a daemon (so it can run in the bg and therefore not need to have the map loaded and running at all times), with the option to update at will in the webapp (so that people don't need to run the daemon if they don't want to).

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
It doesn't look like any location accuracy information is uploaded (i.e. the thing that gives the blue circle around your location).

i going to check how do it... maybe in the cleanup i delete something...

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Wow. I can trash maeMaps after seeing this :-) Is fast, neat and has cool features. Can you tell me how you did it? What code and API is it based on?
(GPS update worked for me, but CellID didn't)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

I think it would be nice to have both options personally. A nice map but also a small applet that loads and can update your location, kinda how Google Maps for S60 worked, it would be "running" in the background but not actually a task running as far as the UI was concerned.

It doesn't look like any location accuracy information is uploaded (i.e. the thing that gives the blue circle around your location).

i going to check how do it... maybe in the cleanup i delete something...
Looking at the upload code, the only things that are uploaded iirc are lat and lon, so we're not going to see accuracy that way. There are probably more fields that can be uploaded to pass data such as fix accuracy. If someone fancies looking at how the page works (i.e. how the javascript uses the geolocation plugin) I imagine that will show the way.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Thanks! The updater is actually quite nice. I also missed that 'Map'-menu so I uninstalled it but when I read this post I had to try it again.

Best solution yet and highly recommended!

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Humm, I recommended this too early
I get "Your current location is unavailable" no matter which locating system I use so it doesn't seem to work yet on my N900 or am I missing something here?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Just installed this on my N800. Now only needs 16MB for the app and dependancies, which is not too bad - smaller would be better though.

the updating works fine using IP. Obviously Cell don't work on a N800, and neither does GPS, although I will test on my N810 later.

the maps option on the menu opens a browser window, and I see the latitude front page for a few seconds before it crashes, but that's no biggie.

I would also like to see this as an auto-updating daemon, controlled by an app, or a control panel entry.

Thanks though for the work so far, and please `don't leave us diablo boys out in the cold!

Gaz

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wageningen (NL)
Is it possible to use the meamo-geolocation plugin in webkit? I've read about webkit support for npapi plugins, and as far as I can see the maemo-geolocation plugin uses this api.

The plugin works great in the standard N900 browser. When surfing to maps.google.com/maps/m the plugin asks wether to allow this website to access location, and when confirmed it automatically starts the gps and the location is shown on the map..