Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Not talking to you specifically, but I see a few posts like this every other day.

Abandonment. Prove it. Links, sources, whatever, because I'm not seeing what you see.
Show us what you see then. Official proof of PR1.3?

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
I have to agree that, without Nokia-backed support, I am a bit disheartened. Not that the community won't or can't (because you all are amazing) but one of the reasons I took a leap of faith on a not-hip phone was the unspoken promise of Nokia. Who knows of the future, but I guess I expected more in the way of support from Nokia. Maybe that's foolhearty. To drop a platform after one release and seeing their other business slide is a a big indication of Nokia's commitment to the N900 or any other cutting-edge platform or OS. My two cents FWIW.

The Following User Says Thank You to dharder For This Useful Post:
My opinion:

The future looks mighty bleek.

At this point in time, we are on a life supply of open pandora, qt, nitdroid, ubunto project and a falling community.

The n900 depends on the open pandora community for help with the emulators, if their emulators get an update, expect an n900 update as well, provided that some developers remain and port code.

As for QT, Nokia is planning to use meego to push qt in the longrun...so meh

Nitdroid and ubunto is a Work in progress, who knows how dedicated the project developers are seeing a dying community. And as for the community, we were at one point reaching a "peak" but as any one can see, we are all but declining.

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Not talking to you specifically, but I see a few posts like this every other day.

Abandonment. Prove it. Links, sources, whatever, because I'm not seeing what you see.
I'd be very obliged if you'd show us what you see.

I like my N900 well enough, but it still has major issues, certainly is not finished and it does not look as if Nokia will ever finish it.

Paai

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paai For This Useful Post:
You should have a look at maemo it is not a first release it had been out in the market place for years as a tablet and apple thinks it made a new market, meego is just a progression and joint effort to put linux in cars, tablets, phones, etc...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chiefb View Post
You should have a look at maemo it is not a first release it had been out in the market place for years as a tablet and apple thinks it made a new market, meego is just a progression and joint effort to put linux in cars, tablets, phones, etc...
This statement doesn't remove to the lack of faith people have if Maemo 5 and so forth will continue to receive updates.

Here's th real deal on the N900.

We all ran out and spent 400-500 bucks cause the device looked awesome. About 80 percent of us realized how crappy the OS was within a few days and started clamoring for an upgrade. We waited with baited breath until Nokia announced PR 1.2, and we were hopeful for a while.

Then PR 1.2 came out. And not only was it NOT the answer we were looking for, Nokia let us know that it was gonna ditch Maemo and move to Meego. That would have been fine except they also said that the N900 would not be supported. Great...

So while the world passes us by with new iPhones, Blackberries, and more Android phones than I can shake a stick at, Nokia continues to treat us like dog crap and expect us to come back for more.

I for one, however, know when i've had enough. I am looking forward to WP7. God, I am sooooo looking forward to WP7. And if that turns out to be a bust (Lord knows Ballmer doesn't have the best track record), I'll just head to Android.

So, to answer your question, what is the future for the N900? The future is an ever-decreasing price as they pile up on Ebay, and a bunch of consumers who will never buy another Nokia product again.

Let the wild Fanboy rumpus begin!!!!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Hi,
For some the future of N900 is slow death, but for others like me is bright feauture. I'm just a week owner and pretty hapy with what I'we got!
I'm not saing that is finished from Nokia's side but with help of THOUSE community I'm happy, and looking forward for more ....

I'm was completely aware that device is in that state before I bought it, the bigest part of may decision was that it run Linux ( and now is cheaper than others competitors on the market without contract).

I'm also not general counsumer but more technical software/hardware orientated.

Many people will pass away today but many others will be born and start new live and new feauture...no matter what people are saing and feeling, N900 has it's people and it's feauture with these people.
And also it is sure that it will pass away some day like every other device but not today or tomorow.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Honolulou
Originally Posted by techngro View Post
Here's th real deal on the N900.

We all ran out and spent 400-500 bucks cause the device looked awesome. About 80 percent of us realized how crappy the OS was within a few days and started clamoring for an upgrade. We waited with baited breath until Nokia announced PR 1.2, and we were hopeful for a while.

Then PR 1.2 came out. And not only was it NOT the answer we were looking for, Nokia let us know that it was gonna ditch Maemo and move to Meego. That would have been fine except they also said that the N900 would not be supported. Great...

So while the world passes us by with new iPhones, Blackberries, and more Android phones than I can shake a stick at, Nokia continues to treat us like dog crap and expect us to come back for more.

I for one, however, know when i've had enough. I am looking forward to WP7. God, I am sooooo looking forward to WP7. And if that turns out to be a bust (Lord knows Ballmer doesn't have the best track record), I'll just head to Android.

So, to answer your question, what is the future for the N900? The future is an ever-decreasing price as they pile up on Ebay, and a bunch of consumers who will never buy another Nokia product again.

Let the wild Fanboy rumpus begin!!!!
Wow you took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the exact same way. I was a huge fanboy but no more and I will never buy another Nokia product again.
The only reason why I still frequent this forum is to see if some one made stable Froyo available on N900. I don't even want a dual boot, I just want Android and dump this Nokia crap altogether.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
On top of that, developers from this community are leaving, slowly, but still.
read the whole thread in that link
and this has nothing to do with tmo transforming into trollground for people who should have not been buying n900?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
crippled-os, get lost, n900nogo, yeah sure