Active Topics

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
I really don't understand the fuss over the Eee. It's just a miniature notebook. Nothing special. Same old, same old. Just smaller.

Apparently there are worldwide shortages of the Eee and I feel kinda lucky that I have one

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post

The Eee is a fine example of what NOT to do for a new device.
Exactly, wouldn't want to build a product that sells out everywhere

Asus EEE is the best $400 I've ever spent on a gadget. It's not pocketable but it's got everything I need, including OpenOffice and USB DUN.

If they ever come out with video for skype I will give my N800 to my grandmother as a video phone.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
i see the subject: "Most Wanted" Poll: Asus Eee PC takes a dive.

..but from #1 best selling to #6 at amazon, they must be doing something right, or nokia n810 wouldn't be at #41 ...either everyone who buys gadgets don't know what they are talking about or maybe the n810 isn't all that special in the first place - i don't think its a break through in any sense besides it running on a crummy open platform that if you know how to cross-compile would serve you use, otherwise eh( android i hope will be a winner, since google are acutally rewarding people who make good apps for the platform). - most people at least want a working office suite working out the box and not have toload a palm emulator to run apps. - guess thats why the htc tytn II is succesful - huge wm app source.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-02 at 04:12.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
The first few times I read people saying they'd rather have WM than Linux for the larger App selection, I thought they were trolling. I keep seeing it come up, though, so now I think there are a lot of people with very different needs from mine -- I just wish they'd realize that there are people with other needs, and app selection isn't limited to outlook and exchange and so on.

I run Linux on my desktop; a phone or PDA (or whatever in between the IT series is) that can run Linux with an X server has a much larger app selection. Case in point, I still have not been able to find a single IRC program for Windows Mobile Standard that supports the IRC server I use most, while with the N800 and N810, I just ran the same IRC program I use on my desktop -- X-chat.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
You forgot to add one more factor: price.
That's an important factor; is the reason why I can't afford the Kohjinsha SH6/SH8....wonderful little machines.

http://pocketirc.com/
I found this is decent for wm mobile irc clients.
CJ

Originally Posted by akd View Post
That's an important factor; is the reason why I can't afford the Kohjinsha SH6/SH8....wonderful little machines.
Maybe you could try to find the older SA1, they should be cheap enough now -- and actually better in most respects except the keyboard !

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by mardibloke View Post
Tried IRCy?
http://pontisoftware.com/ircy/
Hey, neat -- they changed their name, I think. Used to be mircy.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help, I appreciate it! But...

I *did* try earlier, and it's very nice... but only for PocketPCs, unfortunately, or Windows Mobile "Professional" in Microsoft's new way of phrasing it. Touchscreen devices, basically. There are several good IRC clients for the touchscreen PocketPC, actually. There are a couple for WM "Standard"; I remember one free one that does not have a way of separating messages from queries and different channels, and one very nice one (WMirc?) that works fine with some servers and doesn't show any channel messages at all from the ones I go to. It's all very sad.

PocketPC was not as good as mIRCy was, although it was still very good... I think I may have decided that because it was missing logging.

I ended up using jmirc using IBM's J9 Java thing, but I couldn't see what I was typing while I was typing. On the N810, though... X-chat is the client I use on the desktop and works wonderfully, abit without its spellchecker.