Active Topics

I am able to stream WMA radio stations on my n800 with 2008, did they leave the drivers in this to work on the 770?

Hi Fanoush

Will your modified initfs work with this new hacker edition?

Thanks,
-John

Okay. Up and running and looks good so far.
Installed dropbear, become root and followed the guide to get usb networking up (as my phone is playing up at the moment and drops the connection most of the time).
Will keep you posted on progress.
-John

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
so this seems to be the end of Maemmo OS development for 770 if 770 is your only IT device. I hope that there would be another HE2007 release, though, as it seems to be the best os for 770 (at least for me). What I'm missing is a more stable microb and pack porting of the "closed lid function" from OS2006. Everything else seems to be working pretty well. By the way there is an update of microb (0.8.4) when I check updates from 770HE. Should one install that or not? I have not had the courage/stupidity of updating after some crashed opera experiences.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mrp View Post
What I'm missing is a more stable microb and pack porting of the "closed lid function" from OS2006.
Uh, this works fine, right? Screen turns off fine for me. . . .

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
but can you control whether wlan/BT is disconnected when closing the lid?

I don't think this release will pick up on the close lid events.
There are time out values which can be set for any connection as far as I can see.
If you need it you could probably just configure a script to listen for a the dbus close lid event and shut down the network interfaces based on that. Shouldn't be too hard to work out I would think.

FYI
Wireless network over wpa2 works flawlessly although the slow speed of the browser does limit the usefulness of this release.
Handwriting recognition is a bit better again, but the full screen keyboard and pick pad are still quicker for me. All the text entry seems quite quick on the 770 - comparabe to OS2007HE.
Need to get a few more apps installed to see how it all works. Will have a go with maemo mapper, but with no 2008 install for 1.4.7, I think it may be just a bit slow.
So far stability has not been an issue but I am not really pushing it much yet.
-John

I don't suppose a few of the other 2008 goodies have tagged along ? (Such as BT HSP profile support ?)

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Translated into English the words on Maemo mean:
Chinook on the 770 is a proof of concept only, you should simply forget it.

I really liked my 770, but seen from today, it's underpowered,
as it was when it was introduced,
and the OS (2005,2006,..) never was really stable.
Some Questions:

If the 770 is underpowered then why is debian working fast on it.

If Chinook is more optimized for the internet tablets than a full featured linux distribution then why is it slower than debian?

Hacker editions are only ads for getting 770 owners to buy a new IT. They also take away some fear away from N800 owners because they are next ...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
At least Skype is available by default on OS2008HE... Starts up, didn't try a call though.

Also another interesting thing is that the brightness applet now has 10 positions instead of 5 in the normal OS2008. Maybe we should expect this minor update in it too...

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-02-15 at 15:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: