Active Topics

one problem with using the n800 navicore software on the n770 s the fact they sell it with a 2gb sd card and the n770 requires an MMC card. but the kit comes with all the maps and the software on a cd anyway, so loading to a different card should not be a problem. and as soon as i locate where i put the n770 i'll give it a try and let you know

buy the way, the letstalk site has the n800 kit for 199.99. tax only in certain states and free ship.

there ae no updated maps for the us yet. navicore does have a pretty good beta of a somewhat automatic updating page, though i didn't find any appreciable updates,other than two more english voices to recite directions. perhaps the maps were updated but just not for the areas i travel in.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I am not sure what you mean by updated maps but you should find the most up to date maps on the Navicore site here
http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer.../en_GB/tablet/

I bought a second hand N770 kit for use on my N800. I have just checked the memory card and you are right it is a mini MMC - 1gb for Europe.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ New York, USA
A quick question:
Would it work if I use a different bluetooth module and use navicore software and maps ?

btw: New York flagship store told me that N800 GPS navigation kit software will NOT work with N770 but the module will. She then told me get a mapping software from maemo.org.

Untill someone COMFIRMS that N800 navicore software works for 770.. I dont want to spend so much money

Last edited by bluezz; 2007-07-26 at 00:16.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
I'm sure someone on this forum will eventually confirm for a fact that the software will work on the 770. I have the N800 but the package for my software (which I got at Letstalk.com) has a label which says this:

"Navicore Personal 2007 North America DVD
sw:2007.3 map: TA2006.10
Compatible with:
Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, Nokia 770 Internet Tablet"

I also found this entry on the Navicore site FAQ:
http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer...770/en_GB/770/

"Nokia 770: Which SW version is needed for Nokia 770 Internet Tablet before installing Navicore Personal 2007 application?
You must have Internet Tablet OS 2006 edition v. 2.2006.39-14 or newer. For Nokia 770 SW update, please visit www.nokia.com/770/support -> SW upgrade."

I don't blame you for wanting confirmation from a 770 user - I would want the same!

I finished downloading and installing the Navicore_Personal_770_2007_3.tar.gz (33 MB) from here: http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer.../en_GB/tablet/

The installation was successful but the software does not seem to run. Starting-up navicore does nothing.

problem with my 770 ?

Navicore support site says: "Choose Navicore to start the program. You will be asked to enter your personal license code. After registration is completed you are ready to go!"

Last edited by bluezz; 2007-07-26 at 01:53.

To summarise for the sake of clarity and I think this covers almost everything: -

You need to activate with the licence code that comes with the kit, it shouldn't matter whether you have bought an N770 or N800 kit and are using it on a N800 or N770. I have activated my N800 with the code for an N770 kit and, logically, the reverse should be true though I agree it would be nice to have someone confirm this from direct experience.

The maps are the same for both N800 and N770.

Navicore make available for download tablet specific software , i.e. N800 and N770.

The Nokia Bluetooth Wireless GPS Module LD-3W is the same in both kits.

The Nokia Car Holder part no. HH-12 is the same for both kits.

The Nokia Mobile Holder for the N770 part no. CR-81 is specific to the N770 kit.

The Nokia Mobile Holder for the N800 part no. CR-86 is specific to the N800 kit.

It seems that the N770 kit supplies the maps and software on a Mini MMC card whereas the N800 kit comes with a mini SD card.

The kit also contains a DVD with maps and software.

Thanks a lot Rebski.. that does clear things up.
Except one question.. does an activated Navicore_Personal work with other bluetooth modules or ONLY with Nokia Bluetooth Wireless GPS Module LD-3W ??

It would be surprising if the choice of gps receiver inhibited the proper functioning of the Navicore system.

Navicore will sell you just the maps and software so, in that instance, they expect you to use your own gps receiver. Also the Navicore gps receiver is not the same as the Nokia item so there we have 2 different gps receivers that work for starters.

The benefit of buying the kit from Nokia is that you get the car mount and device holder.

I am very new to all this and it makes my life easier to buy an off the shelf package that works. I got a good deal on the N770 kit which is why I bought it but not before I went through all the same head scratching and research.

Even then I wasn’t 100% certain and my fingers were firmly crossed when I keyed in the activation code.

My only mistaken assumption was that I could get my N800 to fit in the N770 holder. It doesn’t and I have already posted in the Buy & Sell section that I am happy to do a swap with a N770 owner who buys an N800 kit.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by bluezz View Post
Thanks a lot Rebski.. that does clear things up.
Except one question.. does an activated Navicore_Personal work with other bluetooth modules or ONLY with Nokia Bluetooth Wireless GPS Module LD-3W ??
It works with other bluetooth modules. In fact, the Navicore kits in some other countries come with a different module.

Here's a site you can buy it from:
https://shop.navicoretech.com/produc...id=71&catid=11

Expensive, though.