One thing I saw on the FCC. Nokia requested '45 days short term confidential' on revealing documents like:
- Exhibit 3: External photos
- Exhibit 7: Test setup photos
- Exhibit 8: User's manual
- Exhibit 9: Internal photos
The request was signed 19oct. So maybe we'll get more info at start of December. Here's hoping

Also another person has spotted that the SAR test contains the following text on page 12:
- With MC / Without headset, Camera extended / 0.390
So camera is looking like a good posibility (the stick out thingy on the photo).

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
... and even more importantly "Extended"... meaning you can pop the bastard back in so it doesn't get ripped off in your pocket.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
A camera wasn't even on my top 10 list of desired changes to the 770...

why a camera? it is a known disincentivising feature for the business segment. you can get all kinds of cell phones with cameras.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
sveinan: I updated the post with your information and credited you for catching it. Thanks again!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SD69. I agree... I've never once been sitting there with my 770 thinking "Damn, I wish I had a (probably) crappy low res webcam"

@thoughtfix
Thanks for the credit. Although the camera spotting was not my doing. I'm not that 'anonymous' (I'm only the 45 days conf. 'anonymous'). I just brough it up here for the others to see. Guess we'll never know who that anonymous hero was

@Hedgecore
Although we are in speculative mode here, I do partly agree. It's good the camera probably is a pop-up thingy that won't break off at first use. But I don't think its such a bad idea. Even if not all here are gonna use it, it may generate more interest/support of the device. And you gotta wonder, what application are Nokia gonna support built in with it ? Do Gizmo or GoogleTalk support video ? Maybe finally a Skype client ? Is high on my list.

One thing I miss in all this was a IR sender. Would soo like this device to be a universal remote.

O well. I think one very important fact is gonna be the CPU + memory config. I will buy one anyway, been hanging on the fence because of late entry and waiting for the 770 replacement. Would be brilliant if they managed to push it out before newyears.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
SD69. I agree... I've never once been sitting there with my 770 thinking "Damn, I wish I had a (probably) crappy low res webcam"
Think of the possibilities: the next time you are stuck outside of wifi range, you can kill time by...er....taking pictures of your own feet? Or something.

Lol.. corporations are supposed to make bigger buck! Either the rest of the world has to reduce its production costs or get another advantage or restructure their economy.

I am not at all pleased with the inclusion of a camera. As a feature, it is WAY down my list of what I wanted in a revision 2 tablet. The camera is likely to raise the price of the device slightly, draws developer attention away from implementing critically needed features (i.e. utterly crappy email client, lack of granular power management, random reboots, etc) that will need to be addressed before I ever consider buying a second IT from Nokia, as well as frustrate the biz community (many companies have stern policies against any device with a camera).

So far, the only change that interests me at all about the 870 is that they have finally ditched RS-MMC in favor of a well supported format, and that is far from enough to entice my wallet.

I hate to be such a wet blanket prior to any official announcements about the device, but I really get the feeling that Nokia is just looking to add more bullet points to their spec sheets and I have seen very little evidence that they have taken widely expressed concerns to heart. It would be nice if Nokia appointed some sort of ombudsman to serve as an interface with/to the ITT community.

The camera is probably going to be aimed at video for use with Google Talk or other video-phone protocols.

Not that I care - also not my #1 requested feature...