Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fiepel View Post
Found it!

The responsible package was:
sbc-svn_20070608-1_armel.deb

Which I installed to get my stereo bluetooth headset to work. As soon as I installed this package I could not switch on the N810. I had to reconnect it to the charger before I could turn it back on again (after it had shown the "charging" icon).

The package installs the following files:
$ dpkg -L sbc-svn
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/sbcinfo
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libsbc.la
/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/sbc.pc
/usr/lib/libsbc.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libsbc.a
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn/README
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn/copyright
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/sbc-svn/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/sbc.m4
/usr/include
/usr/include/sbc.h
/usr/lib/libsbc.so
/usr/lib/libsbc.so.0

Nothing strange here, must be the installation scripts that screw things up on the N810. I think the package was intended for the N800, since I already installed it there and it did not cause the same problems.

Well at least its not Nokia's fault.
Good work dude! I hope that is it... Thanks for the insight.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by fiepel View Post
Same happens to me. I just emailed Nokia about it.

This is what I wrote to Nokia:

My N810 does not power on anymore.

When I first got it out of the box, it only turned on after I left it on the charger for a while. I thought that would be normal, since I expected the battery to be empty.

Later I tuned the device off, while I was sure that the battery indicator indicated 3 hours left. I could not turn it back on. Pressing the button for 3 seconds had no result (led also stayed dark).
I connected to the charger for a few minutes and then the charging icon appeared. With the charger still connected I could turn it on.

To test more, I turned it off, charged it overnight (in the off state) until the display showed the charging icon and the message to disconnect the charger to save energy. I disconnected the charger and tried to switch it on... nothing. I reconnected the charger: nothing happens, not even the charging icon in the middel of the screen appeared. The device just seems completely dead. I tried replacing the battery, removing the memory card. Nothing.

I measured the voltae of the battery, which was 4.06V (between pins + and -) which seems okay.

I remember havin a similar problem with my N800 in the beginning, but that was solved somehow (maybe new softare fixed it).
I hope this is a known problem and that you have a solution.
I am having this power on/off problem since I bought my N800 too, and posted that too. But let me ask you a question: Are you positive the package was the responsible? I wish you have found a final solution , but as I can see in your post , you have had the problem right out the box, so the package was'nt installed at that time, right? I am saying this because I suspect that the fault is caused by other than a package installed. Also, you have experienced the same problem with your N800 too . I've been moving from "I think I solved it, all normal" to "the failure is there again" many times. In fact, for a week or so turn it on/off was normal in my N800 but the problem is back right now
I know, I always leave the IT turned on , but I have the right to turn it on/of normally at my will
I am far from USA, and having bought my N there, a roundtrip shipping almost cost more than the N itself, that's the only reason I did'nt return my unit to Nokia as FAULTY unit.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
I would like to know how many users have been suffering the power on/off malfunction?

I have been having a similar issue with my n810. I press and hold the power button and nothing happens. Sometimes it can take 10+ tries to finally get the damn thing to turn on.

I have also had issues with trying to get the device to charge. I place it on the charger, and it fails to show the charging icon. Right out of the box, it took about 5 attempts before it actually started to charge.

Right now, I've just attempted to turn the device on 17 times and it failed. It's fully charged - I just had it on the charger, it completed and when I went to power it up, nothing.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated with this, and also, I do not have the package installed with another user identified as an issue.

Okay, now I am confused again.

It seems that the software I installed was not the problem after all, it was just a coincidence. I now have the problem again, with just a couple of packages installed.

Also: why would third party software be a problem for the Nokia to give a sign of life? The strange thing is, when I hook up the charger for a while, the firmware goes into charging mode. When the "charging" text appears under the icon, I can switch on my N810. If I do not do that the on/off switch has absolutely no result.

So the problem must be in the firmware.
(RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM)

I am now going to reflash (again) and not install any other software and wait what happens.

Originally Posted by akd View Post
I am having this power on/off problem since I bought my N800 too, and posted that too. But let me ask you a question: Are you positive the package was the responsible? I wish you have found a final solution , but as I can see in your post , you have had the problem right out the box, so the package was'nt installed at that time, right? I am saying this because I suspect that the fault is caused by other than a package installed. Also, you have experienced the same problem with your N800 too . I've been moving from "I think I solved it, all normal" to "the failure is there again" many times. In fact, for a week or so turn it on/off was normal in my N800 but the problem is back right now
I know, I always leave the IT turned on , but I have the right to turn it on/of normally at my will
I am far from USA, and having bought my N there, a roundtrip shipping almost cost more than the N itself, that's the only reason I did'nt return my unit to Nokia as FAULTY unit.
Yes, you are absolutely right! I hope that some developer picks this up and checks the firmware.
I also agree that it should always at least "try" to switch on, even when the battery is empty. My N800 seems to do this correctly now (firmware: RX-34_2008SE_1.2007.44-4_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM), no problems at all.

I have just opened a new thread in general section with the goal to unify all the concerns/problems etc regarding the weirdness of the power on/off affecting the N800-N810....

http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=12863

Would be nice to left all the comments there to see if we can found a final solution for that.

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-08 at 16:23.

Okay, it's confirmed...

I reflashed my N810 with firmware RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM using linux with the command: "sudo ./flasher-3.0.amd64 -F RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-19_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R"

After the flashing was finished, It booted normally. I did not recover a backup, I did not install a phone.
I disconnected the charger.
I switched the device off.
It would not turn back on!

I removed the battery for a few seconds (like 10s) and put it back in.
It would still not turn back on.
I let it sit there for 5 minutes (charger unplugged).
It would not turn back on.

I plugged in the charger.
After 35 seconds the Nokia Logo appeared (I timed it)
Then the charging icon appeared.
Then the text "Charging" under the icon appeared.
The led started flashing green.

Then more weirdness:
I unplugged the charger to see if it would switch on without the charger connected.
I pressed the on button briefly (< 1 sec) and a blue led would light up.
I suspect that if I would have pressed longer it would have booted, but I am not sure.
Pressing it again had no result at all!

So I reconnected the charger.
After 35 seconds: Logo...charging icon...charging text...green led
I left in the charger.
Pressing the on/of button for 3 sec booted the thing normally.

Unplugged the charger,
switched off by pressing on/off button and selecting "Turn device off"
GOTO 1 (same problem over..)

I am stuck in this loop...

What is the current status of this issue? I can not find any definitive solution to this problem posted in this or any other forum... too bad I didn't see all these posts before I shelled out hundreds of bucks for my brand new n810 that doesn't even turn on right out of the box.

This is the first time I have seen a Nokia device NOT behave at all times. I understand this is new technology and all, but they were built in 2005 according to the stamp on the circuit board. By now I think Nokia should certainly have released some kind of statement about how to solve this problem.

Has anyone found a real solution to this problem without sending the unit in to Nokia for warranty repair?

Has anyone sent their n810 in for warranty repair because of this issue? If so, did Nokia send you back a working unit? How long did it take?

I am so frustrated about this situation... never even got to see anything but the charging screen and Battery full screen. I loved the battery full screen, it was in color! Neat.

After charging my brand new n810 fully for the first time, I unplugged the power cord and tried to turn the unit on. I have tried all the combinations listed here for battery in/out, power plugged in, button holding, multiple button click, etc. What the heck am I doing this for? I just paid a bunch of money for what is supposed to be one of the most groundbreaking and amazing devices of 2007. Please someone help calm me down, as the eBay vendor I purchased from allows returns only on unopened items. Should I just send to Nokia for 10-14 days and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ochrenaut View Post
Thanks in advance for any advice or experience!
Sorry for your experience, it is not fatal. I dont think so, I left my comment over here as suggested by akd, http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=12863,
pls all comments and threads turn over. Thanks everybody, I have also add the threads to our now new found FAQ in Wiki, encourage everybody goes there for problems and solutions.
bun

Edit: link now fixed, sorry folks. And thread also in wiki now, the 5th icon on the top, the three blue squares with and '!'.

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-12-08 at 22:54.