I voted in hopes that this will be straightened away before shipment or at least in the first FW update. If you read this thread, please vote. Don't let this phone's capabilities be stunted by the Man.

For adding support for browsing OBEX BT devices (as opposed to simple ability to send files), check this bug:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5325

Please, comment and vote for it. Notice that it has been marked as "enhancement" i.e. not likely to be ever implemented.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I hope nokia doesn't turn evil like apple. If this is a conscious decision than i am pissed of with nokia.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by theinternet View Post
I voted in hopes that this will be straightened away before shipment or at least in the first FW update. If you read this thread, please vote. Don't let this phone's capabilities be stunted by the Man.
It won't happen before shipment or before the first firmware update. Maybe if we're lucky, for the christmas update if at all.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Now, this is when closed source software sucks more.

If the filemanager was open source, qwerty12 had written a patch three weeks ago for sure.

AFAIK, add the "Send via" stuff it's fairly simple: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/..._Functionality

But, you know: "Differentiation".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Now, this is when closed source software sucks more.

If the filemanager was open source, qwerty12 had written a patch three weeks ago for sure.
The file manager doesn't necessarily have to be aware of what's going on. Could you guys use something like this and automount bluetooth devices when paired?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
qwerty12 has written a patch, and he has also gone one step further: You can send files via E-mail, in addition to Bluetooth. Not to mention you can actually submit any file to be shared via a service (e.g. Flickr, Pixelpipe, etc.). Whether those aforementioned services actually accept that file is another matter, however...

Anyway, since I finally fixed the crashing problems that my previous patches brought, and uploaded a deb to the bug report, I thought the time was right to announce it here.

It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s not an official solution, and it does require the installation of a deb but since Nokia have ignored the bug thus far, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s probably the best you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re gonna get. On the plus side, the strings used are localised and any program that supports displaying a Details dialog similar to the one in the File manager (PDF Reader, Notes, Sketch) also gains a \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\"Share\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" button for sending that file you have open in said program.

And it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s not really hard to use, TBH: Just install the deb, reboot (maemo-launcher will have the old library loaded in memory), tap-and-hold a file, choose Details, and hit \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\"Share\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\".

Best Regards,
Faheem

P.S: Oh, and please ignore the repated backward slashes in this post. I\\\'m not drunk, or anything; this proxy seems to want to escape quote marks rather rigorously...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-11-20 at 10:51.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
qwerty12 has written a patch, and he has also gone one step further: You can send files via E-mail, in addition to Bluetooth. Not to mention you can actually submit any file to be shared via a service (e.g. Flickr, Pixelpipe, etc.). Whether those aforementioned services actually accept that file is another matter, however...
You could make a "Share with Bluetooth" application. Not that the patch wouldn't work, but it's not accessible to 99% of people. Separate application can be put to Extras repository.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
You could make a \\\"Share with Bluetooth\\\" application. Not that the patch wouldn\\\'t work, but it\\\'s not accessible to 99% of people. Separate application can be put to Extras repository.
http://qwerty12.qole.org/sharing-dialog-example.c

This thing is simplicity itself: It uses the HildonFileManager widgets and you just tap a file if you want it sent. But, yes, having a separate application in Extras would be cool. Will package it later on, today.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-11-20 at 11:25.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
http://qwerty12.qole.org/sharing-dialog-example.c

This thing is simplicity itself: It uses the HildonFileManager widgets and you just tap a file if you want it sent. But, yes, having a separate application in Extras would be cool. Will package it later on, today.

Thanks. Bears of very little brain are un-nerved by the concept of 'debs', but we undetstand 'apps'.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, bug, file sharing, fremantle