Active Topics

Originally Posted by tso View Post
sounds to me like such a setup would take up the equivalent of two calls in the cell one is connected to at the moment, not surprising if not many operators make said feature available, if it exists (first i have heard of it).
Well, it actually takes up far more than one call, as do most EDGE data transfers. It's not unusual for a carrier to limit any particular device to 4 download timeslots and 1 upload, even when they are capable of more.

So really, when compared to a normal transfer, the extra timeslot taken up by the voice call isn't much.

Personally, I'd be happy with 3+1 and voice. (that would limit you to about 170Kbps downstream in ideal conditions, or 100 more realistically)

The feature is called dual transfer mode, btw.

Edited to add: And having just looked it up, N900 supports it.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
well thats interesting, makes one wonder why they went with UMTS in the first place
(except for maybe the lower latency that is)

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
The N900 is a Class A, Multislot Class 32 device. So it can support simultaneous voice and data. I think the problem with you is the operator. We have two operators, one supports simultaneous voice and data, other doesn't. So the problem is not EDGE or N900, it's most likely the operator.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
According to the specs provided by Nokia, the N900 is a class A EDGE/GPRS device. Forum Nokia lists that it also supports DTM Class 11. I suspect it is not truly class A, as that would require two GSM radios, but rather only class A DTM. If that is the case, the operator's equipment must support DTM to maintain a data session concurrent with voice.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle
it's normal. When i used n95 the same thing happened

Hi,

I experience that the N900 is not reachable because of an active GPRS connection. I prefer having phonecalls over data, how does this work? And can I change this preference?

Best regards,

Johan

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dortmund, Germany
I've no problems receiving calls with an active GRPS Connection.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
I'm not sure that is fixable on 2G (including EDGE)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
AFAIK dropping GPRS connections automatically for incoming calls on 2G (3G can handle both simultaneously) is the carrier's responsibility.

My N900 always drops GPRS/EDGE connections when a call comes in (T-Mobile D), so this can't be related to the phone software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
connection, gprs, incoming calls, interrupted, n900