Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Read the review here. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/pcpro/reviews...et-tablet.html

I can't help thinking that the reviewer didn't really grasp the fundamental concept of the N8x0 series, although he's bang on the money about the PIM functionality.
He probably looked at it in terms of overall usability (what people will want to use it for, not what nokia dictates). if, having done that, I am rather surprised that it scored as highly as it did. The whole IT series could have been MUCH more than what nokia has slopped out. Perhaps with the community (despite nokia) it will be.

While I love my N800 (mostly as an ebook reader), had I known then what I know now, I would have just gotten an eee PC or even a cheap laptop :-/.

The N800 is bad enough, but, at least IMO, the N810 is a real run downhill from that :-(. From what I have seen, taking all the bad design decisions (IMO) that nokia has made, the 770 was probably the overall best in terms of usability / value.

I just don't think nokia gets it and seems to get it less as time goes on. :-( :-( :-(.

Sigh.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Dictates? Slops out?? Doesn't get it???

bigger sigh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Overall usability? It does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does it very, very well. I was just showing it off to some friends of mine who had never used Linux or a mobile internet device, they thought it was the coolest thing ever (even after I told them the price). And, since it does run Linux, it does things is NOT supposed to do very, very well.

I love the design of the N810, I really don't thing Nokia could have created a better form factor for this kind of device. If you have one, feel free to share.

I don't get the one device obsession. I used to be on it myself (last device was a HTC universal with extended battery - Brick).

But have come to the conclusion that if I want a big screen, then it is not practical to have a 1 device solution. 2 devices works well. 1 big screen and then any phone (with 3G and BT support) you want.

Until there is a change in technology, 2 devices works best for me. Still waiting for something lightweight that projects straight onto your retina or perhaps a scroll type roll out screen. Then, a big screen and a single device might be an option.

It has allowed me to get a Nokia N82 with great Camera, flash, 3G etc. and when push really comes to shove, I can leave one of them at home etc.

1 device stays in your pocket while you use the other one all seamlessly. Where's the problem.

Also, I assume most people would rather not pay for 2 phone contracts when 1 will do just fine ?

Zuber

Last edited by Zuber; 2008-02-23 at 17:33.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
after reading article after article about the use of the mobile net, im left with thinking that there are two kinds of people out there:

1. everything in a single device, and as small and showoff-y as one can get it at that. here you have the iphone.

2. redundancy and independence, so that ones whole day dont go to waste over a single device failing. these are the people that carry multiple phone, laptops, pdas, blackberries and whatsnot. its the corporate workhorse, where each device has its own reason for existing, and has its own connection to the net.

the N8x0, having wifi and bluetooth, but no mobile connection of its own, fail for both.

they fail for the first group as its a second device to carry around, and one thats bigger then their phone no less.

they fail for the second group because its reliant on a working phone when outside of wifi range. that means that if the phone goes down, the tablet is worthless as well.

sadly, this is why companion devices, no matter how cool they are in the eyes of the geeks, will fail for the common user...

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I have to disagree. I use my Tablet around the house more than anything, and could totally be sold on its usefulness in that regard. Laptops are big, cumbersome, and heavy, and require a power outlet for more than a few hours.

My tablet offers me 'casual' internet usage. IM, internet radio, light browsing, etc, and I can easily pick it up and take it to the back patio without having to stretch an extension cord, or whatever.

I think the problem is that there's no clearly defined marketing angle, and thus, everyone wants it to conform to their idea, which is notable by the fact that everyone either wants it to compete with the iPhone and have a SIM slot, or compete with their Laptop and do all sorts of laptoppy things, neither of which it is really designed to do.

Nokia's biggest challenge, I think, it 1. figuring out WHAT they want the tablet to be perceived as and 2. adjusting consumers to perceive it as such.

These are both HUGE tasks, not to be taken lightly. Unless Nokia figures those out, the Internet Tablet will always be a niche market item that gets bad reviews from the general public.

I've been through all sorts of devices. 1, 2, 3 device solutions etc.

For real heavy duty work, I need the laptop, period. Why ? a full size screen. Not 4 not 5 not 7 inches (yes I can think of those jokes as well) but a full sized screen.

Keyboard, well an external bluetooth one could sort that.

After that, there is the issue of cpu power.

But all the above except the screen size, I reckon could be dealt with by using remote access.

This was one of my main drivers for getting a Tablet.

I've tried Sony Vaio UXs, OQOs, Nokia Communicators, HTC Universals and all sorts of others.

In the end, I figured. Why carry it all with you. Just get a decent sized screen in a slim form factor, anytime internet, leave the PC at home/office and use remote access.

Things like Video and Audio won't really work well, so you need that to be portable and of course you still need to be able to make calls.

So I think something like an N810 + a Mobile work perfectly well together. Otherwise, you are looking at miniture screens.

What I would like to see though is something like the N810 with a tough 5 to 6 inch edge to edge screen. I guess it's a case of waiting for the tech to catch up.

Also, with good handwriting input. As in vista ink input level with very easy corrections etc. (If you have never tried it, you should take a look. I was stunned at how good it was).

Not got the remote acces working quite right by the way. Still playing with ssh and port forwarding.

Also, a problem I found was that upload speed from home is still a bottleneck unless you pay alot for your broadband...

Zuber

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Hence the N800 and N810, not the E800 or E810. The tablet is not intended as a tool for business people, it is intended to be a multimedia device. Nseries products are designed for internet, video, music, imaging, or a combination of more than one of those.

The N95 excels at video and imaging, but does not come with office document editing tools, because that's not what it's intended for.

The Walkaround-Web is a 'live' portal into the world of information - everything else will take care of itself once people begin to use it as such.

In the not too distant future, People will be 'checking their Tablets' like they used to look at their watches during the course of their day, but it'll be so much better.

The Nokia WiMAX Tablet plus Sprint's XOhms Service will make it real - always on, always connected - it's about to be a New World.