Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
i prefer dpkg -i anyway. much faster than installing deb with app manager in os2008.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Somehow I don't see Corporation X putting up with the extras-devel -> extras-testing -> minimum 10 days quarantine and wait for karma and votes -> extras bureaucracy (at least that's how it will be perceived). In the commercial world you want your app widely available the moment you reveal it.
Well, lots of them did it for Maemo 4. Sure, we have QA now, but it's not a lot more work than hosting your own and it certainly gives you a much wider audience.

These same companies have no issue dealing with an exceptionally more stringent QA process on other platforms, I don't see why they would have an issue dealing with it on ours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i prefer dpkg -i anyway. much faster than installing deb with app manager in os2008.
I somehow see this post being dug up and you being asked to "please 'splain" by new users sometimes after the n900 drops on the general population.

As to the comments about what "most end users" or what "corporation x" will do; that all depends on timing and availability.

If the Extras repository or Nokia's catalog do not have what end users need (or think they need) they will look elsewhere or explore alternative methods.
If corporation x, in competition with corporations y and z perceives a delay in distribution may give the competition an advantage, they will create alternative distribution methods.

I mean, that is why a lot of us use this forum in the first place. The draw was necessity and not the witty exchanges and playful logical excursions over points and counterpoints.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I agree that it's much better overall for various developers (independent and commercial) to use the proper repositories, rather than just creating their own.

We ran into this with previous versions of Maemo, and not only does having countless extra repositories make application discovery a nightmare, but it also opens those repositories up to not using the proper guidelines, such as the 'type' of application, or whatever it's called - the tags that allow you to 'browse' by type, rather than simply scrolling through a huge list of available applications.

Plus, for the developer, it's going to be so much more difficult to convince and instruct users how to add a custom repository than it would be to simply submit the app to the proper repositories.

I'm all for it, and think this is actually an awesome move by Maemo to become more user-friendly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
I agree that it's much better overall for various developers (independent and commercial) to use the proper repositories, rather than just creating their own.

We ran into this with previous versions of Maemo, and not only does having countless extra repositories make application discovery a nightmare, but it also opens those repositories up to not using the proper guidelines, such as the 'type' of application, or whatever it's called - the tags that allow you to 'browse' by type, rather than simply scrolling through a huge list of available applications.

Plus, for the developer, it's going to be so much more difficult to convince and instruct users how to add a custom repository than it would be to simply submit the app to the proper repositories.

I'm all for it, and think this is actually an awesome move by Maemo to become more user-friendly.
I agree 100%, however the method must be available 100% with severs, servers, and more servers if needed... and available at all times. (did I say servers?)

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Not to mention that having a central repository, even if mirrored, make it easier to sign every package with a GPG key so that apt-get / dpkg can actually verify that it's coming from the right source and that the mirror wasn't hacked... (Is this done already?)

Also, when redpill will be gone, gainroot will be in the default repository ?
(is it already there? I remember actually gaining root after installing ssh but it's been a long time since i flashed my n810...)

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Also, when redpill will be gone, gainroot will be in the default repository ?
(is it already there? I remember actually gaining root after installing ssh but it's been a long time since i flashed my n810...)
rootsh is in Extras, if that's what you mean.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Somehow I don't see Corporation X putting up with the extras-devel -> extras-testing -> minimum 10 days quarantine and wait for karma and votes -> extras bureaucracy (at least that's how it will be perceived). In the commercial world you want your app widely available the moment you reveal it.
The big advantage of using Extras to the nebulous Corporation X is that it's available out-of-the-box on every device. All the user has to do is look in the App Manager, and they can see you app.

=> much larger audience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, lots of them did it for Maemo 4.
Not that many, basically just Hava & Digia going from what I can see in extras non-free.

Sure, we have QA now, but it's not a lot more work than hosting your own and it certainly gives you a much wider audience.
It's not about work, but about managing the release on their terms. Starting the extras QA process means going public before users can actually get to the app (and no, we really don't want third party publishers to urge end users to use extras-testing).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I agree 100%, however the method must be available 100% with severs, servers, and more servers if needed... and available at all times. (did I say servers?)
Of course. I think we all remember certain situations in Maemo history where this was an issue, lol.

Tags
app manager, app store, n900