Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Poland
Who knows? Samsung has now its role in Meego too ;-)

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Yes, I had the same problem, though in Sweden. I kept on getting located in the geographical middle of Sweden (which is far from where I am) whenever I turned the GPS on, whichever map-app I used: Nokia Maps, Mappero, Maep, or whatever. It also took a very long time to get proper GPS-lock: 30 minutes to an hour in good out-door conditions!

The solution suggested above solved the problem. Going into "Settings", then "Location" and changing "Location Server" at the bottom from:

supl.nokia.com

into:

supl.google.com

made me get GPS lock much, much faster (within less than a minute, indoors!). Of course, you do need an active internet-connection when starting the GPS for this to work.

supl.nokia.com does respond to ping, and I suspect it is what starts out placing us in the geographical centre of our countries. I don't understand why it does so, though.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Hmmmm... Maybe it's Elop sabotage?
He detests Linux, loves Windows, so he makes supl.nokia.com give inaccurate results and will say: move to Windows!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Same problem on the US East coast. Switching from supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com fixed the problem here.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Yes, I had the same problem, though in Sweden. I kept on getting located in the geographical middle of Sweden (which is far from where I am) whenever I turned the GPS on, whichever map-app I used: Nokia Maps, Mappero, Maep, or whatever.
Maybe this is what Nokia supl server (only) provides: estimate the country and set geographic centre of country as GPS location.
Seen from worldwide this is quite exact and pretty close, but seen from local stand point this is very inaccurate.

Anybody knows what Nokia supl server does/provides?
I have switched now to google and get instantaneous (and accurate) GPS fix.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
It is strange, because supl.nokia.com has obviously given the correct location before! I have had my N900 for two years, and it wasn't until recently that I started having problems with the GPS.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yeah, strange at all.
But this behaviour of setting my location into the geographic centre I have observed for a long time now, over a year or so ( maybe from beginning of my wonderful time with my N900 )

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I've also had no trouble with my GPS until just recently. But yeah, trying out supl.nokia.com against supl.google.com seems to give different results now. I can still get a somewhat close location using the Nokia site now (I had trouble getting anything at all a few weeks ago), but it doesn't seem nearly as accurate as it used to be. The Google server works fine, though.

This really ought to be causing problems for Nokia's entire line of GPS-aware devices, not just the N900...