Active Topics

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Looks like MMC Mobile is a little bit faster ...

The other possible test would be to read/write from the cards connected directly to a PC (with a recent card reader) ...

Fred

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by fredoll
Looks like MMC Mobile is a little bit faster ...
OK, now when I said I'd leave the analysis to others I was expecting a little more than the blindingly obvious (sorry fredoll - only poking fun!)

No seriously though, I was rather curious whether people had any insight into the meaning of the figures wrt. the internal memory... at first glance it seems to perhaps be slower than MMC Mobile..?

Originally Posted by fredoll
The other possible test would be to read/write from the cards connected directly to a PC (with a recent card reader) ...

Fred
Indeed - if people are interested (show of hands please?), I'll bring in my card reader and do some more timings...

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hubbardston, MA, USA

indeed it seems to be that the mmc-mobile cards are the same than rs-mmc cards.

also on the packaging of the mmc-mobile card it said that it is backward compatible.

so i don't trust the packages but my eyes and fingers and i have a 512 mb mmc-mobile card im my nokia 770 and it works fine.

Regards SEbastian

On the 64MByte card provided with the 770, there is the second row of contacts, thus this memory card appear to be a MMC mobile card.
However, peeking into the slot of the 770, I see only one row of contacts, thus it seems that the slot takes only RS-MMS (not the ...mobile variant).
Which - if true - would mean that the potentail max speed would be around 2.5 MB/s as opposed to the 52 (20 times) of the MCCmobile.

IceAge2 trailer is 8MB (megabyte). There is this confusion about "B" meaning bit or byte. So lets calculate them all:

8 Mega byte / 2.5 Megabyte/second = 3.2 seconds
8 Mega byte / ( 2.5 Megabit/second / 8 bit/byte) = 25.6 seconds

8 Mega byte / 52 Megabyte/second = 0.15 seconds
8 Mega byte / ( 52 Megabit/second / 8 bit/byte) = 1.2 seconds

Conclusions: since the default card (since it has all the pins) has the potential to have the highests speed, assuming that the B for transfer rates means "bit" and looking at the measured times (range 10 to 30 seconds): My conclusion is that we're on the slow side . Which means that buying MMCmobile is not necessary for the 770. But DV (as opposed to single-voltage) is necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by christianhauck
Conclusions: since the default card (since it has all the pins) has the potential to have the highests speed, assuming that the B for transfer rates means "bit" and looking at the measured times (range 10 to 30 seconds): My conclusion is that we're on the slow side . Which means that buying MMCmobile is not necessary for the 770. But DV (as opposed to single-voltage) is necessary.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I guess the second row of contacts is for DV cards only. While the 64MB Nokia card has two rows my 1GB RS-MMC SanDisk has only one and is single voltage. Both cards work perfectly in the 770 thus DV is not necessary.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Do the single- and dual-voltage affect the battery life differently in any way?

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
On the 64MByte card provided with the 770, there is the second row of contacts, thus this memory card appear to be a MMC mobile card.
Originally Posted by StevenS
I guess the second row of contacts is for DV cards only. While the 64MB Nokia card has two rows my 1GB RS-MMC SanDisk has only one and is single voltage. Both cards work perfectly in the 770 thus DV is not necessary.

How interesting. The card mine came with has only one row of contacts, but indicates dual voltage on the label.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hubbardston, MA, USA
DV RS-MMC can be 7 pin. See http://flash.atpinc.com/articles/vie...rticle_id=1186

So, it appears buying mmcMobile isn't worth it if the 770 doesn't take advantage of the extra pins. I assume the extra pins are for a larger data path.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
But DV (as opposed to single-voltage) is necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You'd better be! I've just bought a single-voltage card for my soon-to-arrive 770!

http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/92/2/ says you're wrong, too. Phew!

(Only on this small aspect, tho - nice summary on the rest of the matter )

jc