Active Topics

Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
Can I charge it via USB whilst using hte USB for the touchscreen interface? I'm assuming no. This also sucks for anyone trying to use usb and charge for any reason.
I don't know what would happen on that setup as I've never used a USB touchscreen with a tablet.

BUT... the Nokia N97 has USB charging through its microUSB port and that can be used simultaneously for data activity while the phone is charging.

I would assume the N900 would have the same ability?

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard though. Can their thicknesses really be compared directly?

Presumably we'll see a keyboardless Maemo phone next year which would be a more direct match though.
Yes, they can. The Motorola Sholes, if the preliminary specs are correct, is only 2mm thicker than an iPhone and it has a bigger battery than the N900 and a slightly higher resolution 3.7" screen, all this with a 4 row keyboard and it weighs about 15g less.

The form factor of the sholes is just about perfect, but it has no internal storage and the CPU is still unknown.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have a USB HD that has a split USB cable, one for power only and one for data/power. I wonder if the N900 could be charged while using it as a USB host that way...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
Yeah hes talking screen size. I'm with him. I watcha lot of videos on my n810. I travel a lot for work and it is my life saver on planes. I would love the horse power of the n900 but a larger screen would be sweet candy. That is truly the only thing that I would change. I love the rest of it. I will continue my hope for a seperate device with more screen realestate.
agreed. in fact, i would rather have a slightly larger screen than the n810 has with the same outside dimensions.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I thought the n97 also had 3.5" screen but, the n900 screen look bigger. What's different in the size?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The playback would probably be better quality on the N900 as it has better hardware. Are you just worried about the physical size of the screen?
I am. Everything else look nice but, for a phone the size is in good standing.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
I thought the n97 also had 3.5" screen but, the n900 screen look bigger. What's different in the size?
16:9 vs 15:9

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-08 at 19:28. Reason: Correcting spec

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
This image shows the size of a 3.5 screen in your 4.1 tablet. The white square is the smaller screen (nearly) centered, and the blue one is flushed.

The 3.5 screen being 85% of the size of the 4.1 means it should take the same area of you vision if you put the device 15% closer to your eyes. You can test this with this image, see where the screen is, then move it closer to you until the rectangle takes the same size...

I didn't find it much bad. It may be good to prevent people from snooping!
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
16:9 vs 15:10
Does anybody know if there are other devices out there with the n900's screen dimensions?

I'm considering getting some sort of screen protector--and since n900-specific third-party accessories probably won't start coming out until after the device is released, perhaps something designed for a device with similar screen real-estate would be a useful proxy in the meantime.

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post

I'm considering getting some sort of screen protector--and since n900-specific third-party accessories probably won't start coming out until after the device is released, perhaps something designed for a device with similar screen real-estate would be a useful proxy in the meantime.
They're starting to come out already:
http://www.superetrader.co.uk/produc...0113&slim=true

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post: