Active Topics

I can't put a serial number in my blog post (hosted on cnet's blog network) for legal reasons. However, I've updated the blog post to point to the engadget photo.

Thanks for the link.

The Following User Says Thank You to genome4hire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Hey genome4hire, thanks for providing a great set of instructions and links in your CNet blog post!

Well In theory these kind of betas could hurt nokia. Someone could do damage to their tablet, or the software itself could be unfinished. I bet Nokia doesn't want ppl to use unfinished stuff. Good reputation to the tablet if it crashes. How likely Joe Average is gonna buy the NIT if he sees it crash?

But then again ... most nokia phones are some sort of betas anyhow, so what the big deal. The new OS works like a charm

From the eyes of a new N800 owner this is the reason why "open source" and communities like this are so valuable. I suspect Nokia is dancing in the office after reading your very positive preliminary reviews of OS2008. This tells them that the N810 users should be very happy with their new IT. I will wait for the official release because I don't have your linux skills and having a working Skype is important to me (among many reasons).

What is important is knowing that this community and Nokia aren't leaving the N800 users behind. Thank you for a great and entertaining evening last night. Just watching you work and share was a lesson in what the "open source" community is all about.

Originally Posted by Puck View Post
MAC address has been removed ...

No one else can post the number can they? Someone must have a record of it.
Please for respect to thoughtfix use a different MAC (plus Nokia is likely to block this serial);

Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Use GIMP to enhance the images of the N810 back panel that is floating around the internet.......

Originally Posted by nat View Post
That's 001D6E9BB693.
or �n›¶“�

Originally Posted by genome4hire View Post
I can't put a serial number in my blog post (hosted on cnet's blog network) for legal reasons. However, I've updated the blog post to point to the engadget photo.

Thanks for the link.
I think it's funny I sent Engadget a link to the Pic I posted of my N800 running 2008 (about 30 sec's after I flashed it) and they have not run any stories about it....,

http://digg.com/gadgets/Hacked_2008_OS_running_on_N800

Since this post is full of dupes from the other huge thread that no one will have the time to look trought to find the right info, I might as well post my info here too.

How to get a valid mac adress to put for the validation.

Pick a random number between 126409750144 and 126409842879. (those numbers are in decimal, not hexadecimal). Then google for "convert <number_you_picked> to hexadecimal" without the quotes.Take the hexadecimal result (it will say 0x<some_string> use the <some_string> part) and use it for the validation.

edit: you have to add two zeroes to the beginning of it too, see post below.

It looks like N810 mac adresses are all in this range, so if you pick a number from here it will work, but the number won't be from anyones specific device, so no one should get in trouble.

Took about 5 minutes to find this range trought some trial and error, maybe they should consider getting a more secure validation system :P

Last edited by TPC; 2007-11-14 at 09:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:
Also you have to add two zeros (that is 00) to the beginning of the number you get from google to get it to be the correct lengt.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
For Windows users, I found a few Linux distros that say they run from inside Windows. That means you can avoid creating and booting a LiveCD or having to partition your drive for a full install.

I haven't tried any of these, they are FYI only.If you successfully use something like this to flash your N800, please let us know.

Last edited by technut; 2007-11-14 at 10:01.