Active Topics

Far from being able to do any of this stuff myself, but I'm surprised that the "chumby" (or konfabulator/widget/dashboard/gadget stuff) hasn't already been embraced by folks who have the latest greatest gadget yet. (that being the
nXXX series in my biased view)
Isn't that a big part of the promise of the internet tablet? To be an at-your-hand information gadget?

I'm far from the coding type of guy who can whip this stuff up, but even I have spent some time trying to figure out the basics of the 'widget' world to see if I can help port this stuff to the Maemo platform. (If you are wondering, I ended up looking at gDesklets and SuperKaramba, but haven't figured out where to go from there, or which would be a better base to work off of. Hints, tips, outright information appreciated).

I tried to look up the weather for this afternoon before going out, and unlike my other desktops, I felt like I had to jump through hoops to get the info on my ITT (and the wireless was so slow that I went out without it, just to have the temp drop ~15 degrees on me, hah!)

I applaud the Chumby and its goals, and I even more applaud the effort to take that sort of information applet worldview and apply it to the ITT. Thanks folks!

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Alright, was too tempted to try this myself...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12993164&hl=en

Ok here we go :
1. get the (crappy) code from http://pastebin.com/m4cc969de
2. Put it on some webserver that supports php
3. make sure to name the file ctest.php (or change line 116 accordingly)
4 .Change the chumby feed address in line 93 to your chumby channel (as described in my prev. post).
5. Enjoy you n770/n800/n810 as a "chumby viewer" works like a charm here.

Please note: The code is just a quick hack. A couple of things are not supported, like custom timeouts for each widget and other time modes. Feel free to add them
Nice. That worked. So, when php is up and running for the 2008 OS presumably ctest.php could live locally on the N8x0?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by PLeBlanc View Post
Far from being able to do any of this stuff myself, but I'm surprised that the "chumby" (or konfabulator/widget/dashboard/gadget stuff) hasn't already been embraced by folks who have the latest greatest gadget yet. (that being the
nXXX series in my biased view)
Isn't that a big part of the promise of the internet tablet? To be an at-your-hand information gadget?

I'm far from the coding type of guy who can whip this stuff up, but even I have spent some time trying to figure out the basics of the 'widget' world to see if I can help port this stuff to the Maemo platform. (If you are wondering, I ended up looking at gDesklets and SuperKaramba, but haven't figured out where to go from there, or which would be a better base to work off of. Hints, tips, outright information appreciated).

I tried to look up the weather for this afternoon before going out, and unlike my other desktops, I felt like I had to jump through hoops to get the info on my ITT (and the wireless was so slow that I went out without it, just to have the temp drop ~15 degrees on me, hah!)

I applaud the Chumby and its goals, and I even more applaud the effort to take that sort of information applet worldview and apply it to the ITT. Thanks folks!
I think the Chumby widget is cool, but for weather I have omweather installed as a desktop applet and it will keep track of many locations and days of weather. No hoops to jump through. Just click on update or have it update every x hours.

Last edited by theflew; 2007-11-18 at 23:51.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Yes, the Chumby thing is not good for on-demand information. I don't think there is any way to jump to a particular widget when you want it. It just rotates through the widgets you selected at a predetermined pace.

But Chumby is still fun. Zerojay and I are both interested in making it more usable for tablet users. Zerojay is doing some testing at jablet.net

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyone interested in trying it out for themselves on their tablets, let me know. Sign up for Chumby and send me the info for your channel and I'll send you a link you can use for your personal channel.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It would be nice if Chumby's real estate could be reduced just a bit. Also, I asked jay about context-sensitivity with the widgets... something to look into.

I'm surprised that the "chumby" (or konfabulator/widget/dashboard/gadget stuff) hasn't already been embraced by folks who have the latest greatest gadget yet.
There's certainly the scope to do these things, there's just not that much screen real-estate to use (that's my problem with applets anyway). Perhaps we need some sort of parent applet which can be used to quickly select which of its children to display.

The Chumby stuff looks quite fun, the applets themselves are Flash, I don't know whether the applets are open-source, but it ought to be possible to write a flash container app to sit on the desktop and do something similar (perhaps even with the same code). Might make the rest of the system rather slow though.

I don't think that chumby is the way to go for desktop applets. It's allright for what it's meant for and it is nice that i can watch a chumby channel while the n800 is sitting on my desk - but that's about it. Especially for a mobile device i think it's worth to put some time into developing custom widgets/applications. Certain constraints (battery life, screen size, user interface) can only be addressed that way.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Anyone interested in trying it out for themselves on their tablets, let me know. Sign up for Chumby and send me the info for your channel and I'll send you a link you can use for your personal channel.
Yes please. I will send you a PM with the info.

Thanks!

Last edited by johsua; 2007-11-19 at 12:07.

Zeez's php code worked for me on the first try. But, for some reason my selected widgets are not showing my customizations, like the proper city for the weather widget. Any clues on why? You would think once the correct profile was used it would automatically include the customizations?

Tags
chumby