Which has been solved.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Which has been solved.

Oh really!!

Champagne!!

Uh no, beer

Why not using chinook?
I try to develop for both bora and chinook (for now) and that's why I use the vmware appliance.

Originally Posted by cripes View Post
I try to develop for both bora and chinook (for now) and that's why I use the vmware appliance.
AH ok. I would have wanted to do this for a few apps I maintain, but running debian x86 with only 1Gb left..

gigs are almost as cheap as beer. get yourself some cheap flash or a HD.

Company laptop.
You need the phone of my boss maybe?

I'll prefer the solution of having a lighter cross environment

sudo du -hs /scratchbox/
2,7G /scratchbox/

Anyway, it's Christmas, I'll make a nice letter to my company..

djashjones, having the dvds are a waste because you will never be able to use all softwares and also because as soon as you will start your system it will upgrade to the latest software versions which you would have done with the netinstall.
/my advice

Desktop Distro: I'm loving up Ubuntu atm.

Beginner's Guide: Check the news pages on ITT - they linked to one a little while ago.

Also check out the maemo tutorials linked above - you can't go wrong.

Learn how to use SED, Grep, Awk (google for SED and you should stumble across http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html )

Remember apt-get install, apt-get remove, apt-cache search.

To find files - use "find PATH -name FILENAME/PATTERN" - i.e. "find / -name test.c" will find all files called test.c starting from the root drive.

Also - see http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html for some hot command line goodness.

Remember sudo.

Browse the Linux filesystem and learn the structure of the filesystem - various meanings of devices, processes, etc

Pipes are powerful.

If there's no debian package out there, you can usually download the source as a tarball. To untar it's either "tar xzvf FILE" or "tar xjvf FILE" (depending on the extension.)

To install from source you can usually do:
./configure
make
make install

This will compile, then install most software out there - but won't give you a pretty menu launcher (expect to launch through command line.)

Remember tab completion on the command line. This'll fill out most directory/file names and a double tab at the command line will autocomplete most application names if you fill out a few of the beginning letters (or provide you with a list of what's in the path.)

Browse the repos through synapse - see what applications are out there and the brief descriptions of what they can do for you.

Ampersands given after applications will launch the app in the background.

Chances are - anything you don't know wasn't kown by someone else too a few months/years before you - who decided to post on a forum about his lack of knowledge, who's had his question answered somewhere. Use google-fu to seek knowledge where it is - trust me - it's ALL there.

This'll probably do well stickied on a wiki page? [tbh it's all info available out there/as part o the distro help if you look for it - but it's nicer to have this all in one place.]

The Following User Says Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post:
Also - most commands in linux have help.

just use: COMMAND --help (double dash) to find out info on how to use it.

Whilst you're at it - there's also the man pages (manual pages) to find out a lot more info on said command/application.)

man COMMAND

A good CLI editor is nano.

Quite a few configure scripts (source code config scripts) have --help available too to set various options that may be needed. Check them out if you have troubles compiling.

./configure --help

The Following User Says Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post:
i can tell you something, windows is childsplay compared to linux.

Think i've installed scratchbox. figured out how to run the install script but its telling me that it cant continue due to no user has been setup. (more googling needed).

Makes me think, are linux developers paid more than win32 developers?