Active Topics

Posts: 107 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ New Jersey
Question to those who would like to try this:

Do you already have Mike Saunby's TrueCrypt package installed?

Do you want the EasyCrypt package to include TrueCrypt or just flag TrueCrypt as a required dependency?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I do not have TrueCrypt, and I prefer including it in EasyCrypt for one easy install.

Just an aside....

TrueCrypt 5.0 was officially released a few days ago.

I haven't tried the Windows version or tried compiling for x86 Linux yet, but as I understand it, there's some controversy over the lack of a true command line and the switch to /dev/loopX instead of /dev/mapper/mount.

I haven't seen the Linux GUI but apparently it uses wxWidgets. I'm going to try to see if I can get it working in Scratchbox in between cycles....

I just tried the TC5 on windows and it seems to work just fine. Guess it whould be easier to maintain a nice truecrypt for maemo if we just use the builtin linux gui.. Good luck!

Ok....

After several months of tweaking, then losing interest, then landing a new job, then more tweaking, I have posted my first attempt at EasyCrypt. Please read the README and INSTALL files on my website carefully first.

The deb package seems to install properly on my N800 so let me know if you run into any issues installing.

As requested, this package *INCLUDES* the Truecrypt 4.3a executable, the related kernel module and the device mapper stuff. EasyCrypt relies on these to be in their proper locations to work correctly. They are compiled for 2.6.21-omap1.

Remember that you need to be able to run Truecrypt with root permissions (at least as far as I know) and so some lines need to be added to /etc/sudoers. All of this is in the INSTALL file.

I'll consider making a short YouTube video or detailed screen caps if anyone wants a more thorough tutorial.

Also, if anything is blatantly wrong in my INSTALL file, please let me know so I can fix it promptly.

The files are located at http://www.securix.net

You can skip to the bottom if you don't want to read my N800 musings.

-Anthony

Last edited by Securix; 2008-03-21 at 04:49.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Securix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
@Securix

Thank you but I get a when going to your site
securix.net

This is the current parking page for www.securix.net.

The domain has been registered through:

Domain Name Registration.

If you believe you received this page in error, please contact the administrator at:

The following extra services are also available:
URL Forwarding
DNS Hosting

Enetica - Australian Registrar

The domain has been registered through:
Enetica Instant Domains Domain Name Registration.
The following extra services are also available:
Premium URL Forwarding Email Forwarding DNS Hosting
If you believe you received this page in error, please contact the Enetica Instant Domains administrator at: domains@enetica.com.au
It works with boratproxy lol. Now to see if I can download.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-03-21 at 09:23.

Yea, it was working but then it reverted back. I'm in the process of transferring that domain name out anyway.

For now just use http://www.securix.net-a.googlepages.com/home

Securix,

I preloaded required dependancies in red pill mode and downloaded app and starts fine. I will play with for a couple of days and report back.
Very nice port thanks bro.
I'm new to linux so I'm having trouble loading the following lines you recommended we put into sudo gainroot.

user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/truecrypt
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/insmod
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/lsmod
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/mkfs.ext2
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/mkfs.ext3
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/chown

Any tips, suggestions and newie walkthrough would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work. Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for checking out the port.

If you have root access in command line and can do gainroot, then you can edit the sudoers file using the command "visudo" .

I installed openssh and just ssh into my N800 with putty or ssh on my Linux box and go in that way.

Anyway, visudo basically calls vi to lock and edit the sudoers file. If you know your way around vi then it should be easy to append those lines to the file.

If you're unsure of what I mean, email me and I can step you through it. My email address is on my website.

I was considering extending the postinstall script to append the lines by itself but deciced that it would be too big of a risk in case something went wrong on someone's particular setup.

I could add it and test it thoroughly for the next release I suppose.

Also, I've been playing more with ext2 and ext3 functions and seem to have gotten the N800 to format and mount ext3, so I will be adding that to the next release as well.

I also saw someone drop a test deb that does NTFS support. I'd like to check into adding that too.

-Ant

Last edited by Securix; 2008-03-23 at 04:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to Securix For This Useful Post:
Securix,

Thanks for the install instructions. Works beautifully.
I will report back after playing around for a bit.
Dan