Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
As I try to allure to in the first case, the HWR, HandWritingRecognition is really not bad after you adjusted the handwriting speed setting to 1 block, the minimum.

Now, I play with shortcuts, I found out the shortcuts interpretation is even more powerful. I made a shortcut for /media/mmc1 and carefully draw a letter 'm' with one more legs, very carefully. I went to xterm, just casually script out a waveform with 4 legs, not even pay attention how horizontal, sloping at an angle, anyway I do it, it prints out the path nicely. Wow! I also made a shortcut for sudo gainroot, using the '@' but with one more circle outside, like two circle enclosing each other. I went to xterm, just make any ugly two circle, one inside the other, absolutely very little resemblance to my shortcut pattern, one humongously large circle in a small circle, it still recognise it. OMG! who said the tablet cant do HWR?

bun

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Thanks, this is valuable stuff, and I hope it's going into the Wiki. I found handwriting recog. very difficult for some letters, but of course I could redesign them if I wanted.

Rather than make a symbol for sudo gainroot, I just have the word root as a shortcut on xterm. Tapping the word root is a lot faster than any symbol.

How's having it faster better? That, as far as I could tell, just adjusted the delay before it tries to interpret it; setting it down (short delay) makes multi-stroke letters (t, for example) harder to get right, becaus it sometimes interprets before I get it there...

Mine's set 3/5, seems alright...

BTW, I'm considering trying an experiment: retraining the handwriting to be graffiti-like. Remove all existing forms, replace lowercase with single-stroke versions, and uppercase with two-stroke versions: one the same single stroke, and the other a characteristic stroke representing shift. (Not sure what stroke is best to minimize confusion with other letters...)
Gotta backup the current data first, of course...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I hope you do try the Graffiti-like experiment!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
How's having it faster better? ...
I like it faster that I do NOT have to wait for the interpretation for each single letter entry, that slow me down. I just keep writing and take a peep before I press the enter key. I like it that way.

If you put the setting higher, you CANNOT write another letter until it finished interpretion.

Edit, you can write it, but you cannot really see it, it just sloooooooow.......

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-20 at 22:46.

Yes, you can; I do it all the time. The key is to just leave a bit more space, or it will try to interpret them as 1 letter. (Leave about a full letter's worth of space, and it treats them as consecutive letters; leave 3 spaces if you actually want a space in between.) Anyway, if things go well... one-stroke letters mean no downside to minimum delay.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
If only custom HWR shortcuts worked while typing on the keyboard...there's already gestures while in onscreen keyboard mode so it wouldn't be hard for the Maemo developers to implement.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
BTW, I'm considering trying an experiment: retraining the handwriting to be graffiti-like.
I have done this and it works great. No more problems with "t"s or "k"s. I disabled all stock recognition and replaced each with just one box of graffiti characters. For me, whenever it would help to have HWR, I don't need uppercase letters, so I've not bothered with that.

I've had my own "sudo gainroot" shortcut for a while now. Sorry Bun! I would have filled you in sooner if I had known!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
I just found out that there is 2 ways one can set the HWR speed, and I am NOT sure which one takes precedent. You can either go into Control panel>Text input settings or Menu>Tools>Settings. I set them both to the minimum, to have the fastest interpretation. And I also want to report that I 'forced' myself to use HWR for 3 days, and I am very very comfortable with HWR and conclude that, everythings takes some initiative. If you decided to write on the tablet, the HWR is totally capable. I remember I have to train myself on the palm when I was using the palm. So it is unfair to criticize the tablet while the user did NOT put any effort to train himself/herself. Bunanson is now proudly announced that Bunanson is now a tablet HWR user at ALL time. Bottomline, whatever it takes to please you is fine, but, from now now, I do not want to hear anymore "tablet HWR is terrible".

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-20 at 13:18.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Tablet HWR is terrible.