Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Keep in mind not every MB is a MB. As in, if you have a FUP, you care less for a MB than when you are roaming. Ideally, an application knows the roaming costs of the provider you are. BTW, as of now this info should be easy to get from /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 there are some Linux software for this too but they basically poll /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 every X minutes and calculate the difference. My S60 phone keeps track of this by itself. Maybe Maemo does too. Then you'd only have to parse that data.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Keep in mind not every MB is a MB. As in, if you have a FUP, you care less for a MB than when you are roaming. Ideally, an application knows the roaming costs of the provider you are. BTW, as of now this info should be easy to get from /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 there are some Linux software for this too but they basically poll /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 every X minutes and calculate the difference. My S60 phone keeps track of this by itself. Maybe Maemo does too. Then you'd only have to parse that data.
ifconfig is inaccessable unless you are root and that's not a good idea. /proc/net/dev gives you the same info for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Can we get a reset button (like an odometer trip A and B button?) so we can start counting at the beginning of our next billing cycle?
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
That's a function I would be too worried I'd hit accidentally if it's just on the desktop...
I can vouch for the fact that it is a problem.

Tip to designers: Don't put a big "Reset" button beside your data counter, and if you do, at least have a second "Are you sure?" dialogue.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
zerojay: In Brainstorm, you phrase your initial post as a problem, and then you have to post a solution to your problem, otherwise we can't vote on it.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
zerojay: In Brainstorm, you phrase your initial post as a problem, and then you have to post a solution to your problem, otherwise we can't vote on it.
And that's why I didn't post it there from the start.

I'll fix it in a bit.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-09-24 at 22:22.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
As a resident of Canada I'm subjected to our telco's bankrupting data rates. I'm sure I speak for everyone in this country when I say this widget isn't just a great idea, it should come with the device as standard...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
ifconfig is inaccessable unless you are root
Only because it's not in user's $PATH in Maemo (but one can always use the full pathname, or "busybox ifconfig"), it doesn't require any special privileges

/proc/net/dev gives you the same info for free.
and that's exactly where ifconfig gets the stats from too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I've already voted (thumbs up!) on the new idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I have also added an alternative solution to the idea that you may want to check out. I've also added the proper link to the brainstorm in the first post.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
i guess you should give it a shot

Tags
cellular, data, widget proposal