Active Topics

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
The same as a smaller tablet, except the screen is bigger. Personally, anything more than cell phone calls or simple games are overkill in a pocket-size device for me. Would rather have everything in a larger tablet, and high-end stuff on my desktop.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
without wanting to sound like a fanboi...am rather looking forward to the Apple incarnation...you know its going to be overpriced...but heck my macbook hasnt died once in 3 years....the iSlate will push start the market and bypass the like of netbooks....although i love Nokia...somehow i very much doubt they will master it. Time will tell, lets hope they lear a LOT from the N900

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
I like the title of your thread. You seem to have learnt something at the OrangeBox Academy of Intelligent Writers.

For mastery, you could've written: 2010: year of the tablet except for Nokia

Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
The same as a smaller tablet, except the screen is bigger. Personally, anything more than cell phone calls or simple games are overkill in a pocket-size device for me. Would rather have everything in a larger tablet, and high-end stuff on my desktop.
Still not seeing it. Why not just a notebook w/touchscreen? I mean, we went through the tablet business before, every manufacturer had one - you flip and turn the screen so it covers the keyboard, like, say, http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/M750. They just never caught fire, because IMHO, there's no use case.

But hey, make it hospital like white and externally featureless, and the distortion-fielders will swoon over it, I suppose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
I like the title of your thread. You seem to have learnt something at the OrangeBox Academy of Intelligent Writers.

For mastery, you could've written: 2010: year of the tablet except for Nokia
Thank you, OrangeBox, you are an inspiration to me.

Also, I copied the headline from the NY Times.

So what's the use of such tablet? It underpowered compared to notebook yet haves similar size. Nokia tablets were able to fit pocket. This one would be unable to do so. So it's better to carry notebook then, Why buy sych thing? "Just because it is Apple"?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Since I wrote the top message, rumors seem to have pretty much established that the Apple offering is going to be called the Slate and it will be a 10" tablet.

I want something Kindle-sized but not e-ink, color, for reading and general computer activities, maybe even movies. I don't mind onscreen keyboards, so a big tablet would be great. But I'm not willing to pay an "Apple-charge" of a few hundred dollars that you typically pay.

I think it's sort of sick the way that the modern world puts so much energy and thought into phones. Is it so we can fantasize about sitting by a campfire and planning the takeover of the world from the wilderness?

I guess when Moses brought the tablet from the mountain, the Bible forgot to mention that it was a 2001-style obleisk (but smaller) with a splash screen of the Ten Commandments on it, but it was too early to say "Thou shalt love no God before Jobs," because they didn't know his name yet.

Hey, maybe there's an Apple commercial buried somewhere in the last paragraph...

Last edited by geneven; 2009-12-30 at 15:35.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Still not seeing it. Why not just a notebook w/touchscreen? I mean, we went through the tablet business before, every manufacturer had one - you flip and turn the screen so it covers the keyboard, like, say, http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/M750. They just never caught fire, because IMHO, there's no use case.

But hey, make it hospital like white and externally featureless, and the distortion-fielders will swoon over it, I suppose.
Those were fine. But overkill, they're still over $1000. The keyboard is good, but some people would rather use USB or Bluetooth or on-screen. They're too heavy for some people. Don't know if battery life has been an issue. The main thing is there hasn't been a tablet with a great touchscreen OS yet. I can afford a $1000+ tablet, but any tablet with current Windows would just feel like a rip-off, and possibly something much cheaper can do everything I want.

That's like saying all small touch-screen devices have no use-case because the first Newton didn't sell billions of devices. Personally I just want a much larger N800, or maybe a clamshell tablet. That said, I don't think I'll see anything I really want in 2010 either.

[QUOTE=Nexus7;446709]Still not seeing it. Why not just a notebook w/touchscreen? I mean, we went through the tablet business before, every manufacturer had one - you flip and turn the screen so it covers the keyboard, like, say, http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/M750. They just never caught fire, because IMHO, there's no use case.

I've started wondering why notebooks have keyboards. I'm starting to think about carrying a tablet. When I need a keyboard, I can use a wireless one. Better yet, I can use the same model KB on my desktop and enjoy the same layout in two places.

Originally Posted by bknoth View Post
[
I've started wondering why notebooks have keyboards. I'm starting to think about carrying a tablet. When I need a keyboard, I can use a wireless one. Better yet, I can use the same model KB on my desktop and enjoy the same layout in two places.
Well, keyboard layouts are fairly standardized. One might want a better keyboard (physically, such as a Thinkpad or IBM buckling spring one), but that's not possible with on-screen ones anyway.

But as to your point, this was available, even back in the infant years of the internet. For example, http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Fujitsu%...ter:1994887887

Tags
year of the tablet