Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I splashed out and bought the 16gb. That should hold enough children's TV to last me through an entire month's holiday... now all I need i the month of - to rip and then watch it all. I figured it would be better than trying routinely to change the card. Like many people I dislike the 'feel' of removing the n900 back.

So, when we get that UK owners meet-up, I'll be the one in the corner watching vids...

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I splashed out and bought the 16gb. That should hold enough children's TV to last me through an entire month's holiday... now all I need i the month of - to rip and then watch it all. I figured it would be better than trying routinely to change the card. Like many people I dislike the 'feel' of removing the n900 back.

So, when we get that UK owners meet-up, I'll be the one in the corner watching vids...
I have a large card for exactly that reason - install and forget about it, until the 32GB comes along of course! LOL.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Everything you would ever want to know in Wikipedia MicroSD article.

The sdhc term is explained here but basically if it's over 2GB it is going to be SDHC.
im not sure its stricktly true.

As my old Axim didnt support SDHC as far as i could work out, yet i did manage to get a 4G card that worked. the SDHC 4G card i had didnt work

but i think on the whole your rigth

Memory seems to be the one thing that doesn't reduce in price for bulk purchase: the 16gb is more than twice the price of the 8gb. Which is... odd.
There's always an optimal size.. the size where you get the most megabytes for the money. This point has moved steadily upwards. Only a few years ago the optimum was 512MB SD cards, 1GB or 256MB gave you worse deal in cost per megabyte. Then the point moved upwards. Last time I checked the point was at 8GB for full-size SDHC, but it could be at 16GB now for all I know. For MicroSD there's a lag, compared to real SD.

Memory seems to be the one thing that doesn't reduce in price for bulk purchase: the 16gb is more than twice the price of the 8gb. Which is... odd.

I shall go for the sandisk 8gb sdhc, I think... and maybe look to a 16gb for later in the year.
16GB is the latest size factor for microSD cards. So they are going to be more expensive initially. As supply ramps up, the 16BG cards will fall in price. When the 32GB cards are available, the smaller cards prices will fall further still.

It's been this way for all memory card form factors and sizes since the technology was introduced. The large form factor flash memory devices are cheap enough nowadays to practically be given away. In fact a lot of them as flash drives, as being given away as swag in trade shows.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I too am "disappointed" at the pricing of uSD {16GB more that twice 8GB} since in the N900 it is more difficult to swap them than in my old E90.

That being said, I mainly used that "little door" to pop out the card to show it to people, rather than swapping in/out multiple movies. :-)