Active Topics

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
I picked up a HP "expandable" iPaq case last night at Fry's for $9.99. Here's a link (mine says "hp" instead of compaq): http://www.amazon.com/iPAQ-FA117A-AC.../dp/B0000CDERS

It fits nicely and feels very durable. Still small enough to fit in a large-ish shirt pocket, and includes a velcro belt loop. Not quite as sleek as the 770 with cover, but it definitely protects the screen. There's enough room to fit some other stuff in there too as the n800 isn't as thick as the case; there's a good 1/4 inch of space when not compressed. When closed it's 5.8 x 3.6 x 1.1 inches.

Larry

The cases for the Nintendo DS Lite fit the Nokia N00, although some of the inserts in the case may have to be removed. I bought the following case, and it works very well:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ninte...oductDetail.do

The back of the case has a mesh pocket that can hold an extra battery.

Howard

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The best you can do is add support to my bug #943 - you may disagree with the suggested options, please suggest alternatives it's really a starter for discussion.
I tried to open a bugzilla-account, but I simply never received the mail with my password. I give up. (Maybe they watch this forum and I'm on their black list )

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I see your comment against bug #943 - I guess the bugzilla email may have been delayed, thanks for helping the cause!

I'm not hopeful the bug will have much impact with Nokia unless there is a lot of bug activity and votes (once enabled!). The Nokia feedback channels are a mystery to me, and those channels clearly defective if the decision to drop the case is based on feedback.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
those channels clearly defective if the decision to drop the case is based on feedback.
But we can't assume the comments in this forum, even if the majority prefer the case, represent the entire customer base. Besides, feedback like this is rarely black and white; typically developers will ask customers something along the lines of "if we implement a shiny new faceplate, could you live without the cover?". And the problem with if/then scenarios like that is that respondents are pigeon-holed into "lesser evil" sort of answers or they fail to consider all of the repercussions. Generally this is just piss-poor poll design (which is far too common IMO)... but not having seen what Nokia used I can't say that this was for sure the case.

EDIT: oh, and by the way, I've come up with a perfect way to include a cover for the N800's faceplate. After I model it I'll post the design.

Texrat - it seems Nokia have decided we should be using the N800 in a way that quite a few of us have stated is just not possible. The case seems to have been dropped due to the Nokia philosophy of "always on". Unfortunately, that's just not possible in the real world for a whole variety of reasons, and it simply doesn't work in practice either - if I lock the screen on my N800 and slip it in my pocket the N800 proceeds to illuminate the pocket until the battery gives out due to the touchscreen being in contact with other objects.

I'm not even debating about the case though - the case issue can be resolved through accessories (it would have been nice to have one as standard however).

No, the issue is that the 770 case provided a dual function - not just protection but also putting the device into a "standby" state which disabled the wireless and prevented the battery from running down. It's this latter functionality we (definately I) want returned however the noises from Nokia appear to be "You're wrong, you don't want that, it's better the way it is". Well it's not - give us a the 770 case-on standy functionality back (and not using the power button which is a pain to press and takes too long to effect). Some of us work in high security/confidential environments and having an always-on connected device in the pocket is not a good idea.

See bug #943 for details - Nokia may need to accept they've made a design mistake by not including a case, they can help correct that by restoring the "case-on" event function to one of the front facing hardware buttons.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-15 at 18:22.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I guess the bugzilla email may have been delayed
It never arrived. I went through the "I forgot my password"-procedure then, but they told me my (nonexistent) password was too short.
Only when I gave it a second try later today it worked.

BTW: I think not providing the cover will turn the "always on" philosophy into "always off" very quickly for most customers: Once they realize there's no quick way to lock everything, they'll simply switch it off completely.

I understand all that Milhouse-- I was referring to a specific point though.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I understand all that Milhouse-- I was referring to a specific point though.
Right, sorry - I see now.

I must say the argument for the case is an odd one. I've had iPaqs in the past, none of which came with a case that activated a "standby" function, yet after the 770 it's obvious how useful this is. For Nokia to then drop the case (and it's associated "standby" functionality) in the N800 would be no bad thing if we didn't have the 770 to compare against. The N800 is now no different to a typical iPaq or Dell Axim, but because we experienced the great design of the 770 we now say the N800 is flawed.

We can all manually disable wireless and turn the device off, which is what I used to do with my iPaq, but given how quickly I could do this with the 770 I've had my eyes opened

Maybe the questions to the feedback panel were inappropriately phrased, or they weren't put to existing 770 users, but it quickly becomes apparent how useful the case and standby mode are once you no longer have them, and for them to not be a part of the N800 in one way or another is quite bizarre.

Also, the official N800 Nokia case still isn't available for sale! Do we have a possible date when it will be available?

It's cool. I need to get back to my modeling so you guys can see what I've come up with. I have no illusions that it will in any way resemble actual future product though-- just fun to do.