Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
hi guys, it's possible to schedule periodically fsck at boot time (eg: once a mounth) at start up, before maemo mounts partitions? like ubuntu..
it should be a great stuff!!

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please look into the options of tune2fs.
There is the -c for maximum mount count and there is -i for intervals between checks.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Thank you michaaa62 but I don't know if tune2fs works with ubifs (and, more general, if exists a tool for this filesystem!!).
I sought on internet about tune2fs and ubifs without success...
I opened a new thread to know it.
I hope no reflash one more time...

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
Thank you michaaa62 but I don't know if tune2fs works with ubifs (and, more general, if exists a tool for this filesystem!!).
I sought on internet about tune2fs and ubifs without success...
I opened a new thread to know it.
I hope no reflash one more time...
Surely only appliable to /home partition, you are right

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Backupmenu by RobbieThe1st has fsck of everything except rootfs, and can expose also the /opt fs in mass storage mode to an external computer to fsck it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Backupmenu by RobbieThe1st has fsck of everything except rootfs, and can expose also the /opt fs in mass storage mode to an external computer to fsck it.
Mydocs partition is easy to check without connect n900 to pc in mass storage mode.
from terminal:
root
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1

problems are with /dev/mmcblk0p2 and p3 partitions...
debernardis please, how to fsck /opt when n900 is connected to pc as mass storage?
I can see only /Mydocs (/dev/mmcblk0p1)
thank you

edit: i read your reply to my thread how to check ubifs. about /opt/ i had to install and use backupmenu application. thank you

Last edited by maemo.it; 2010-12-16 at 10:27.

ok thanks to backupmenu I checked and corrected /opt/ but I'm sure I've to check rootfs too. since it seems impossible to check it, maybe I can backup /opt/ and /Mydocs/ partitions, reflash device and restore its (so in this case I should correct just rootfs). what do you thik about it? Can I do that or after reflash I loose links from rootfs and /opt/?

The Following User Says Thank You to maemo.it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Well you could as well reflash rootfs and reinstall your apps without restoring /opt, because /opt contains the majority of apps files. You lose only the contents of /home, but a recent backup (with the stock backup app) should contain most of it. so the only thing you should take care to backup is MyDocs - and this especially if you intend to flash also the emmc, which erases MyDocs.

mmmhhh reflashing everytime there is a rootfs problem is too much a windows-like method!
I prefer use a tool like fsck using reflash mode just for extreme situations!

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Hi everybody.

My N900 is with custom kernel, over-clocked, a bunch of apps (incl. RobbieThe1st - latest ver - i think its 0.62-1) and it was working fine, till today. When i was cropping the picture on the phone, it restarted.

Few hours before that I fsck-ed all partitions with "RobbieThe1st" and they were OK. After crash, I checked them again and on "Checking the OptFS..." it gave me this prompt:

"Errors may have been encountered: code:4 /dev/mmcblk0p2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e., without -a or -p options)"

I think this is /home path, so many things on the phone are not working (obviously )

I tried to fsck on tablet, but I cant unmount /home.
I was googling whole day, but just cant find a solution.

Now here comes the question:
How can I fsck /mmcblk0p2 via terminal on OSX?
I am a noob, so please explain in details

A big thanks to one with an answer and I hope I would not need to reflash N900 again.

The Following User Says Thank You to N900Roger For This Useful Post: