I guess it should be possible to use x-term (ctrl+shift+x) to install VNC server, then make the backup remotely (haven't tried VNC on N900 myself though).

everyone with the screen problem-can you remember what you installed or did with the phone just before the screen started playing up?

no one wants to be specific as to why they wont just backup their contacts and send their phone in for a fix. is it because they have over 50+ of their own applications installed also? I wouldve just backed up my contacts in the knowledge that im going to be sent back a phone that actually works. If you dont want to lose or write down your installed frequently used programs, someone on here might know of a way to back up your entire phone, but then you might end up putting the screen annoyance onto a replacement new phone also (if that was offered under contract). if you have installed loads of programs, even if they arent from the testing catalogues, one of those might have caused the screen problem to occur in the first place. if this is the case theres always the chance that nokia might refuse to replace it. I try not to install too many-this is still a new phone, and many programs being released are in their early stages, even if they are not in the development/testing catalogues. there are bound to be loads of programs that may have conflicts with others or just the n900 that we just dont know of.

you should be able to back up your contacts easily by using the software cd that comes with the n900. I dont think it comes with the option of backing up installed programs, so writing down your mostly used applications might be the better option.. then send your phone in. if its a genuine screen hardware problem, sending it back may be the only thing you can do to get a fix.

Last edited by extent; 2010-07-05 at 12:09.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I guess it should be possible to use x-term (ctrl+shift+x) to install VNC server, then make the backup remotely (haven't tried VNC on N900 myself though).

i have never done that.....i started by getting in x-term but what i have to do after that?

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
My N900 developed a screen problem after a couple of months. The touchscreen became unresponsive especially in the top left hand corner. I sent the handset back, they said they had fixed it, but i think all they did was reflash the whole device. so i left the device empty ( with no apps on) for a while, and the problem came back. In the end, they replaced the handset with a new one, and this one has been fine ever since. Mine must have had a dodgy screen. Thought I would let you know what happened to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigears5000 For This Useful Post:
I also have the same problem started one day and worked less and less by the day then nothing. Cant even use phone anymore. Called nokia no support still under warranty HAH said something i did software water or drop not them BEWARE nokia up to old tricks. LAST NOKIA I BUY

same unresponsive touchscreen troubled me. i did everything i could. uninstalled all doubtful applications, restore to factory setting twice. It all end up in vain. At last i just removed the protective screen and Bingo !! everything is fine afterwards. i just love this device so much that i just don't see any other alternative that can surpass it in terms of my priorities.

i have no protective film ....still not working

touchscreen responds with click and vibe but cant select
cant get into phone stuck on 1st screen after reflash
wtf nokia help $600 gone

Same issue and luckily fixed by removing the protective film. Very strange: the problem appeared suddenly while I was using the phone to watch a move in my TV and seems to be gone now, after three days struggling with it until I decided to remove the screen protector...

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Moscow
Screen protector removal worked for me as well after I tried everything else. I guess the core issue here is that n900's own resistive film is very thin to achieve great response and that any protector is made of another material. Every time there is a temprature change any material changes its dimensions a bit. since the protector is thcker - it forces device's film to change them with it, which resilts in sporaodic touchscreen issues.
I stopped using screen protector and haven't had a single touchscreen issue since that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little_beat For This Useful Post: