Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
a warning to all n900 buyers-before maemo 5 -which is the software on the n900 there was maemo 4 and the internet tablets n810 n800 and going back further the n770

one of the main selling points of the tablets was the gps function-wayfinder provided the maps but then last month wayfinder was closed down by vodafone and suddenly with no prior warning to tablet owners gps does not work-no support

their is a lesson here and it is simple one -there is no guarantee that nokia will stand by its products-

before you go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a product with maemo os -such as the n900 or the internet tablets bare in mind that the same thing can happen to you
Okay, I'm a bit confused. Nokia didn't make Wayfinder, and if they had some sort of product/service maintenance deal with Wayfinder (hypothetical, I have no idea), then it wouldn't be their fault for Wayfinder pulling out. If not, then it's definitely not their fault. If you rely on a third-party, proprietary service to get your maps and routing, and that service shuts down, then no, you won't be able to access it. This happens all the time, and doesn't imply anything bad about Nokia, just because they may have hyped the mapping app when they sold the devices. Aside from that, it's a gross generalization to say that this event (even if it were Nokia's fault) implied a lack of support for Maemo, and even more of a generalization to say that it implied that Nokia was unreliable across the board. For another thing, the fact that Wayfinder shut down doesn't mean you suddenly can't use the GPS hardware - Maemo being what it is, you can just use another mapping app. (Yes, I know that some of them are lacking in various ways, but that's irrelevant to the point that - unlike some devices - the dropping of support doesn't mean that GPS is useless)
Your post title is inflammatory, your claims are unfounded, and at least some of your facts are just wrong. Please stop trolling.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
problem is sygic is only available to europe and north america. Not in australia and new zealand.

Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
lets stick to the original problem maps not working on the n810
Based on your thread title, I thought your original problem was to warn everyone not to buy Maemo devices, no? If not, maybe you should have titled your thread a little bit differently?

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Okay, I'm a bit confused. Nokia didn't make Wayfinder, and if they had some sort of product/service maintenance deal with Wayfinder (hypothetical, I have no idea), then it wouldn't be their fault for Wayfinder pulling out. If not, then it's definitely not their fault. If you rely on a third-party, proprietary service to get your maps and routing, and that service shuts down, then no, you won't be able to access it. This happens all the time, and doesn't imply anything bad about Nokia, just because they may have hyped the mapping app when they sold the devices. Aside from that, it's a gross generalization to say that this event (even if it were Nokia's fault) implied a lack of support for Maemo, and even more of a generalization to say that it implied that Nokia was unreliable across the board. For another thing, the fact that Wayfinder shut down doesn't mean you suddenly can't use the GPS hardware - Maemo being what it is, you can just use another mapping app. (Yes, I know that some of them are lacking in various ways, but that's irrelevant to the point that - unlike some devices - the dropping of support doesn't mean that GPS is useless)
Your post title is inflammatory, your claims are unfounded, and at least some of your facts are just wrong. Please stop trolling.
is that right mr nokia expert

in the real world

if a company subcontracts a service and the subcontractor fails to deliver the company is at fault

do you personally own a n810 that cannot use the maps

no

so shut up

troll

here is what i received from wayfinder customer support

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us!

As Wayfinder is now almost closed so we don't have any technical tool to help you in the Navicore and internet tablets issues except the Website http://www.navicoretech.com .

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us."

Best Regards,
Sanna Basyouny
Customer Support
Wayfinder Systems AB

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Based on your thread title, I thought your original problem was to warn everyone not to buy Maemo devices, no? If not, maybe you should have titled your thread a little bit differently?
That quote was referring to the OP's extrapolation of something unfortunate happening to third-party N810 software to a general statement that nothing Nokia does can ever be trusted.
So actually, it was entirely on-topic.
Oh wait, was that sarcasm? I missed it... :P

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
That quote was referring to the OP's extrapolation of something unfortunate happening to third-party N810 software to a general statement that nothing Nokia does can ever be trusted.
So actually, it was entirely on-topic.
Oh wait, was that sarcasm? I missed it... :P
hey pal you have become part of the problem and not the solution

if you cannot help

go away

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
I don't know why people say ovi maps is ****, I use it to get places.

Then again I wasn't spoiled by google maps like most of you probably were.
I used Nokia Maps on my Nokia E71, it is way better. Although he N900 get a lock much faster.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
How is spreading FUD a solution to anything ?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
How is spreading FUD a solution to anything ?
and what

just let it go

accept that you pay for 3 years of map services and after 2 years they shut it down,no warning -so you know not to flash the unit

and say nothing

come on

i have spent a lot of time and money supporting maemo

bought all 3 internet tablets -at least a $1000 right there

and testing software -giving feedback at least 100 hours

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
The only trolling here was in the first post. And please change the topic to a more suitable.. describing your problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:

Tags
enough., fanbois, fightinfanbois, fud, opinion=fanboi, trolling, whydoievenreply