Active Topics

as a perspective buyer, doesn't this destroy the already not so great battery life?

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
as a perspective buyer, doesn't this destroy the already not so great battery life?
No, as the device does not persist in running at that speed and more energy is consumed by the radios and display than the CPU.

On top of that, this thread may be more interesting in a year or so. Right now it's too soon to tell what the symptoms of adverse wear due to overclocking will be.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
It would, had someone not come up with the idea of HALVING the idle clock speed on the cpu... it seems most people who have 'overclocked' have also implemented lower idle clock speeds... they are getting better battery life than before! it's almost like turbocharging a slightly smaller engine :P

Starving at 1 GHz uses less voltage then stock 600.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Currently, the most common overclock is with idle clock of 500Mhz. (default is 250Mhz) Mine is running at 500 - 1000Mhz. Sometimes, I do clock it up to 1.1Ghz.

From Overclocking WIki
the CPU does NOT IDLE at the lowest frequency (250MHz) but it SLEEPS at 0MHz! Thus reducing the lowest frequency would not reduce power consumption. It is only activated during low workload and may actually consume more power than a higher frequency, as it takes more time to go back to sleep/idle state.
Battery life has never been better. I've had this phone for 6 months now and first 3-4 months without overclocking. Battery lasted much shorter back then than now with overclocking. (mine easily lasts over 24 hours with around 4 hours of web browsing over wifi/3g, some phone calls and sms etc) (During idle, it only loses around 10% every 6 hours while being connected to wifi)

Most recent advancements in overclocking the N900 include super low voltages. In turn, it consumes less power. If you have a lucky N900, you can run the CPU at 850Mhz at a lower voltage than stock N900 at 500Mhz. (seems most N900's can do this)

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-05-10 at 22:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
yeah, my phone melted!!
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible View Post
I've heard of two users who oc'ed their N900 and bricked them.
Mine is running at 1 Ghz max and I'm very happy with it.
Those two claims were made at approximately the same time by two new users who seemed crazily eager to brick their devices. However, they both soon admitted they hadn't bricked them and both dissapeared. It is possible they were kidnapped by aliens, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible View Post
I've heard of two users who oc'ed their N900 and bricked them.
Mine is running at 1 Ghz max and I'm very happy with it.
Those two did not brick them.. just veeery close. The guy who used it at minimum 850mhz had to put the battery in the fridge a while before he could boot it up again. Of my understanding he still running it att minimum 850mhz so that would be my bet.. Or you could buy f2thak's

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Been running mine at 1Ghz for past few weeks. I expect the cpu to die sometime within the next 5 years now instead of 10+ years due to overclocking. Ah well. I expect myself to buy a new phone by this time next year. Then I'll overclock that one if I can. =P
It's 10 years at 500, 5 years at 550-600, *hands jakiman a calculator* :P

Last night mine smelled a little bit of ozone when it got pretty hot.

I'm also using an Otterbox case on it which probably isn't helping matters since it's encased in silicon now. That said, I opened the keyboard to allow the metal back plating to act as a heat sink and cooled it off relatively quickly.

Be advised if you use an Otterbox case and overclock!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post: