Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
epub is the most sensible format to support (as it's the only reflowable emerging as a sort . You should use calibre to convert other formats to epub.
No need to: I can view other formats directly with FBReader

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There are LOTS of people using that format. Everyone who has a Sony Reader, for example. It's one of the main formats encouraged by Calibre, one of the cooler programs out there.
ePub is probably the future "standard" for reflowable text. It makes sense to use that as the base (and only) format directy supported by the reader client program. Other formats can be supported by calibre or other external converters. Bloating the reader client with direct support is misplaced effort.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

Originally Posted by fms View Post
No need to: I can view other formats directly with FBReader
Yup, it's nice to have a "backup program" handy - makes implementing support for other formats even less urgent .

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Sadly none of the formats has all the features. I spent quite a bit of time with the wikipedia entry on ebook formats and then looking through the specifications and got quite discouraged that there was no stand-out winner to support or use for my purposes. Many formats especially fall down in supporting user annotation and markup.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Can anyone get to the font size setting? Nothing comes up for me. Apart from that and the lack of an icon, this is a great little program, perfectly suited to the n900

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
I have given the current version on maemo-devel a twirl, and it seems really nice! ...
Glad you like it

The auto-scrolling does need some work and finer control and a way to start/stop the scrolling easily are on my todo-list. I haven't made any tests regarding power efficiency but I going take a look at it at some point.

A big one for me: How about allowing simple text-files as input too? I have most of my ebooks downloaded as simple text, since the format is quite widely supported :-)
For now I'm only supporting ePub. HTML-based formats should be quite easy to include and plain text-file support should be doable also, but I have no plans for additional format support right now or at least not during Google Summer of Code.

Some feedback on how much of the full text you have read would also be great. ...
I am planning to do something like a scrollbar at the bottom of the screen like you mention and maybe also have a widget that shows the current chapter at the top of the screen. These do require some screenspace so I'll have to see how it works out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
Can anyone get to the font size setting? Nothing comes up for me. Apart from that and the lack of an icon, this is a great little program, perfectly suited to the n900
You should be able to access the settings from the main screen where you open files etc.. just tap the title bar there.

The Following User Says Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by parasight View Post
You should be able to access the settings from the main screen where you open files etc.. just tap the title bar there.
Font size setting doesn't seem to work - you can see the title, but there is no way to choose the actual size.

BTW, this stuff WOULD be nicer to hash out in the bugtracker.. otherwise this will become a painful thread to follow.

Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
Font size setting doesn't seem to work - you can see the title, but there is no way to choose the actual size.

BTW, this stuff WOULD be nicer to hash out in the bugtracker.. otherwise this will become a painful thread to follow.
There is now a bug tracker at http://code.google.com/p/mebook/issues/list

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Any idea how to stretch a book to occupy full screen area in the landscape mode? This is v 0.0.8-1.