Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Big deal.
My 1.8 GHz core 2 duo can run circles around my pentium 3 GHz.
Frequency has not mattered since a long time - and it matters even less in the mobile playing field.
Every successive processor technology brings with it another facet of performance improvements that makes it difficult to compare against previous generations.
And then there is the matter of the software and its open-ness.

So take your FUD to some place where people are likely to be affected.
Oh wait. That's what t.m.o. is for.
As you were...
do you feally think they will release that phone with this generations gpu? i think they know cpu freq is not only the issue. the real issue to me is the os

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
only thing motorola is doing now is trying to get a rid from phones division and set it adrift into the ocean.

and btw the ghz train went already after people have realized that gpus and multiple cores can do some serious crunching when instructed properly.
Not to mention changes in new architecture trumps old, like adding faster and on-chip cache memory or better silicon, but they all can still carry the same ghz rating

Originally Posted by PathFinder@9GS View Post
I cant imagine how hot that phone is gonna get :P
Heat sinks?
What about battery? No matter how powerful a phone get but in my opinion the mobile battery technology isnt going anywhere..\\

I hope its a well thought move.. or it may burn down the company
Several manufacturers have under-clocked their flagship phones in recent history and nobody has sued yet for false advertising.

If this is a 2ghz chip it may only run at 1.5 depending on what battery life & temperature specs they are targeting.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
do you feally think they will release that phone with this generations gpu? i think they know cpu freq is not only the issue. the real issue to me is the os
Frequency does not matter to me, but from your first post it seemed that it did matter much to you.

Regarding OS:
Android is much better than iOS by the simple fact that it is based off Linux, but even thats not good enough for my phone.
I like it, but I prefer Maemo/Meego over Android.

About a week into playing with my wife's HTC G2, I realized that I really preferred my n900 over Android. Why?
Because for everything I needed, there was a Linux app.
The desktop Linux community is much more active and productive and stable than Android can hope to be, and the n900 gets much of its great capabilities as a side effect of the desktop Linux world being what it is.
For those things that there wasn't a Linux app, there was someone who was willing to make it - which benefits maemo as well as Linux - and thus there is more motivation to do it.

tl;dr: Frequency is irrelevant, Linux rules, n900 is the best.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
sounds to me its more like a dual core chip at 1ghz = "2"ghz to the misnomer.. which is what the Cortex A9 will be..

If we keep waiting for these around the corner technologies, we can wait forever since the quad core ARM is most likely in the works with 2ghz of clocking (total 8ghz?)

really irrelevant until something is actually out and substantial

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
sounds to me its more like a dual core chip at 1ghz = "2"ghz to the misnomer.. which is what the Cortex A9 will be..

If we keep waiting for these around the corner technologies, we can wait forever since the quad core ARM is most likely in the works with 2ghz of clocking (total 8ghz?)

really irrelevant until something is actually out and substantial
Quad core ARMs are already in production, my wife works on them. I asked if she knew any products - she didn't because thats not her job.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

exactly, 2ghz doesn't mean NUTS if it isn't optimized. i can have a phone running at 1ghz and a silky smooth user experience, better battery life, etc.

that i think is more important ultimately. the mobile device world is a bit different from a PC since resources (including powersupply) are scarce.

Motorola + 2Ghz + phone = not gonna happen 2010 (and probably 2011)

Motorola are not leaders, they're ambitious followers.
They're Milestone2 with OMAP3xxx clocked at 1.2GHz means nothing when its running Android.
Google really needs to polish their source and make it easy for OEM's to set up their OS with better battery life + great response + little troubles(stability). If you disagree, I will just respond with "Galaxy S".

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well yeah OK 2Ghz sounds good to me, but only if it can actually deliver something unique.

And running Android, I doubt it can really deliver much of anything interesting...

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
2Ghz phone lol hahahahaha sorry it's going to fail badly.
2Ghz processor wll drain batter size 1500mAh as quickly as a piece of ice cube in the microwave. Unless Motorolla wants to put 3000mAh battery in its device to substain the hungry beast Processor.

Dual core may be the best option to this, unless PCworld wrongly adding dual core A9 1Ghz together into 2Ghz. Otherwise it will fall into an ocean. Tablet = may be, phone single CPU 2Ghz = I smelled burning hot phone.

The question is, is Motorolla trying to build a phone or a piece of useless brick? Ghz isn't everything and isn't the solution.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
quad core ARM is most likely in the works with 2ghz of clocking (total 8ghz?)
4 core x 2 Ghz != 8 Ghz

Tags
troll alert, trollololol