Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Joiku? What about this one called "Mobile HotSpot"?

Originally Posted by slvr32 View Post
It's an app for the n900, runs on the n900.
I think everyone else understood what I was talking about.

There's some issue with "modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer" (I think) that makes it not work well in all cases. It really should be fixed before they sell any more IMHO.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
*sigh*

The point of my story was that i happened to be in a... we're not leaving until this is fixed.. meeting, and there was an echo of... yeah, i can't tether my phone... from all of the iphone and android phone users in the room.

And it just happens that i was able to bring the meeting to a close, because I had purchased the joikuspot app a week earlier, and the n900 filled the gap for troubleshooting, and allowed everyone to go home for the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post:
Just so you know, and without wanting to troll, my Galaxy S does tethering out of the box. And for free. And much better than that lame Joikuspot that I also had issues with...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaco2k For This Useful Post:
Yeh, tethering on wifi is definitely a cool feature that works quite nice on the N900.

I don't have any experience with Joiku, but about a week ago I installed the free mobile-hotspot app, and it works great (requires the enhanced kernel, but I'm using it anyway).

yes the galaxy s comes with wifi AP built in and works well too

and so do all android 2.2 devices with wifi

not that the N900 doesn't get a warm spot near my heart

Originally Posted by philh View Post
Nice going. I am not in IT but that makes me even more surprised when I watch our 3 IT guys running around with their 3GS-ess and ipads... I mean they are bright and capable people who I'm sure won't be offended if anyone calls them utter geeks, N900 should be a dream device for them yet I'm not sure they even know it exists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD...layer_embedded

My point was your insinuation in your OP heading that iPhones and Driods are "useless Phones" because they do not have wifi tethering while N900 does because it has wifi tethering is a load of bollocks.

The wifi tethering on the N900 out of the box (joiku) sux while the proper solution (Mobile Hotspot) requires the installation of a custom kernel in N900, which is the equivalent of having to jailbreak your iphone or droid anyway. So why is the n900 "better" here ?

There are MANY reasons why the n900 is more suited to certain tasks then the iphone or droid, but this is NOT one of them and smacks of a fanboy mentality (and here everyone makes fun of the iphone religion hah).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Cool story bro.

Although, I do actually recommend Android Wifi-Tether... I was in a very similar situation and that worked for me.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
fanboy mentality
Fanboy mentality in a forum dedicated to the the device? Whaaa?

Tags
hotspot, joikuspot