Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Even G5 towers were put together with TX7.5 Torx bolts.

This really is nothing new for apple, to be honest I was surprised to even see a Phillips headed bolt on an iPhone in the first place.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Just be glad they didn't hype this as a 'free hardware upgrade' or 'iPhone 4S(crewed)'.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Whether you hate Nokia or love I'm happy they didnt do this since I had to open my N900 couple of times
The N900 does have some torx screws. Come to think of it, so does my N810. What's the big deal?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Steve Jobs is a nutty old man, even nuttier than the stuff I release in the toilet... hmmmm o_o

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Regular Torx screws (with 6 sides) are "industry standard" on most (all?) phones nowadays.

But if you look the picture of the iPhone this is special 5-sided torx. Finding a driver set for this screw is not just going into your local hardware store.

It is clear Apple did change to this uncommon screw to prevent people opening the phone by themselves.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Apple's not the only one that does it.

Get the parts (good for many, many devices):
http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Home-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-047

Love more, hate less.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Regular Torx screws (with 6 sides) are "industry standard" on most (all?) phones nowadays.

But if you look the picture of the iPhone this is special 5-sided torx. Finding a driver set for this screw is not just going into your local hardware store.

It is clear Apple did change to this uncommon screw to prevent people opening the phone by themselves.
That's just Apple all over...

1, Take something that has been an Industry standard for many years

2, Remove a basic component rendering it completely useless to anything that is not carry the apple logo

3, Claim that they have the patent/rights on unit X and then attempt to sue anyone with a similar design.

It would not suprise me if their lawers haven't been knocking on Philips HQ already.

Tee Hee, I kid

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The N900 does have some torx screws. Come to think of it, so does my N810. What's the big deal?
The big deal is that you didnt read the whole thread, I said N900 has two of those screws which are not the same as the ones iPhone has

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-11-24 at 17:41.

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
The big deal is that you didnt read the whole thread, I said N900 has two of those screws which are not the same as the ones iPhone has
I don't get it, are the N900's torx somehow better or worse, and why are torx screws an issue in the first place? It's not like you screwdrivers aren't readily available all over the place.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I don't get it, are the N900's torx somehow better or worse, and why are torx screws an issue in the first place? It's not like you screwdrivers aren't readily available all over the place.
1. N900 uses regular TorX screws and as Mara wrote

"Regular Torx screws (with 6 sides) are "industry standard" on most (all?) phones nowadays.

It is clear Apple did change to this uncommon screw to prevent people opening the phone by themselves. "

Why you're not reading the whole thread?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011