Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by punto View Post
It's perfect (well, very good) on paper from the POV of a linuxhead.

In reality, apart from it's Skype implementation I can't think of a single thing that Android or iPhone doesn't do better.
Except for SSH, web browsing, CLI stuff, system mods, customizable UI, booting alternate OS... yeah i guess theres nothing that android or iphone doesnt do better.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by punto View Post
It's perfect (well, very good) on paper from the POV of a linuxhead.

In reality, apart from it's Skype implementation I can't think of a single thing that Android or iPhone doesn't do better.
Can you list examples on what the Nokia N900 fails at?

when trying to activate my bluetooth...i get the bluetooth settings window...bluetooth on.....visible...and my device name...and SAVE....then nothing happens !!! try to look for devices...press NEW and also nothing happened

this problem 1st occured when i tried to connect to windows just to send a few music files....the bluetooth was turned on normally..and during the transfer it disconnected and whenever i try to activate it the same thing happens to me....other devices would find my phone as if it was still ON...but couldnt attempt to connect to it

i tried rebooting the phone..restoring settings...and it was fixed !!!

did a couple of transfers with other nokia phones...that went on ok...

then on another occasion i was trying to activate it ....and the same thing happened allover again !!!!
tried to do what i did last time...restoring settings and so on...but till now it's not fixed :

any clues on what i should do...or has anyone experienced the same problem ???

my bluetooth works perfectly.

try a reflash

Last edited by mastac; 2010-12-24 at 19:21. Reason: addition

The Following User Says Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
n900 is good for you if you are a linux geek. Lot of apps ported from PC, ability to run whole desktop linux environment in chroot, even full virtualisation is not impossible on n900. But it has slow, laggy and unresponsive GUI, and of course - nokia doesn't givin a f*ck about us. No service, no support (every firmware update in the past was hell and f*cked up lot of things)... If you expect iPhone, rather buy iPhone. If you want allmighty portable linux device with ability to make calls and send sms, with integration of IM and VoIP protocols, wellcome to the world of n900 users...

The Following User Says Thank You to Deafboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Portrait mode. Though more and more programs are being released with built-in portrait mode auto-rotation, and there's a mod by MohammadAG that makes the status menu work in portrait mode. And hildon desktop is open source, so it's in theory possible for someone to recode the entire thing, if they had the motivation and experience.

Beyond that, a couple of the more 'basic' features have flaws. Media player isn't always perfect, app manager is slow, lack of latest flash, UI sometimes lags/freezes, default email client has some problems, with certain settings for receiving email causing it to not work at all for some people in the earlier firmware updates (not sure if the latest fixes have solved it).

Most of it is really not a big deal, as open source equivalents exist for almost everything, and the advantages of everything else, in my experience, far outweigh the disadvantages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
OP, you've broken the first rule of owning an N900... never criticize the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Here's my thought about N900:

At first i thought that when iPhone 4 comes out, this phone will be obsolete, but i was wrong. This phone is nothing but amazing....it can do things that i don't think other phones can do and that is the reason i am not willing to witch. If i switch to iPhone 4, i think i am going to miss a lot of stuffs such as emulators that being controlled and play by PS3 controller, missing the hardware physical keyboard, i try typing with the iPHONE onscreen and it's annoying and slow. The radio transmitter that play music or video off the phone and into your car radio....can iPHONE do that?? Don't think so! The conversation mods and whole bunch of other mods....i don't think iPHONE can do that. So, these are the reason i am not going to switch to other phones YET! The ONLY cool thing about iPHONE 4 is the facetime video chat....that is about the ONLY thing that attract me but not enough to switch.

Oh one more thing, portrait mode...at first i thought that is something i will miss but you know what.... i hardly use it...it doesn't look right to view in portrait mode anyway with the exception of Instinctiv music player and phone mode. But that's just me...i don't miss portrait mode to be honest. I like seeing things in big landscape mode.

Last edited by romanianusa; 2010-12-24 at 20:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jardenix View Post
Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about getting the Nokia N900, and have started to read around on the forums.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the phone - and a lot of users replying that the OP should have done their 'research' on the phone..

Maybe I'm missing something, but what bugs/flaws does the phone have that make it unusually annoying? It seems perfect to me!

Thanks.
The N900 is a wonderful programmers sandbox, it's a fairly decent online/multimedia device, but it's a poor phone. Whether it's the perfect device for you really depends on which of those qualities you value more. You have to remember the device is a year old and that's a long time in mobile computing, the initial state of the art browsing experience now looks old and redundant compared to newer models out there. The phone part of the N900 was well outdated before it was released. But the openness and the freedom to tinker with the device from a developer's viewpoint make it unmatched today by any handset out there. So it's all about how you get your kicks. Are you someone who likes the idea of installing Python and writing up a few programs? Or learning more about Unix by getting a hands-on experience? Then you're going to enjoy the N900, don't hesitate further. On the other hand, if you're going to rely on the N900 as your main business phone then I can't recommend it in this instance.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
Besides not having Flash 10 (I just use the Tweak Flash to "pretend" to have Flash 10 which works on YouTube and FaceBook), I don't see all the problems that people complain about.

To me it seems that You have to be a Linux Geek (which I am) to love it...

I still haven't seen a single device (or "mobile" OS) which beats the N900/Maemo...

One year and still going strong...
Tweak flash doesn't work on Youtube....quality the same for me.

Tags
does anyone, give a fock?