Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm with you guys. I got my Galaxy Tab and I'm pleased as punch so far--and despite some minor missteps so far, they've at least acknowledged and are working TOWARD a good open platform, even if they're not quite there yet. I get the sense that they're dancing between vendor demands and customer demands... so, although I'm skeptical, I'm intrigued. Here's hoping we don't get fooled again. Cheers!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I've suddenly gotten interested in the Veer, which seems to be supported by Sprint and TMobile among others. But my N900 still has a long ways to go, and my current monthly payout of $15 is hard to beat, while it lasts.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
@eachna,

I'm with you on Samsung, by the way.

I feel like Samsung is definitely on the way up, so I'm hoping they make better inroads to not dicking over their customers.
IIRC, the think the Galaxy had two things in its favor (other than shiny hardware specs):

1) Easily root-able.

2) An "official" stock android ROM for all the smart modders to turn into something really beautiful.

It also had a big strike against it:

1) Samsung had their head up their nether ends and couldn't be bothered to release properly working drivers.

If Samsung could have just released good, solid drivers, Google could have done the "hard work" with the stock Android release and geeks could have felt secure flocking to it.

I'm not sure what to do, now (other than go back to my old Milestone and wait for at least a year). I won't buy another phone with iffy closed-source components "no one" is supporting.

That leaves out anything Nokia may possibly release with Meego, and the Galaxy line (at least until Samsung stops focusing only on the Tab).

I wonder what HTC is up to. They've been open to having their devices fiddled with from the beginning. My G1 had rock-solid drivers. My husband still uses it. Back then the problems were with Android, not the drivers.

Now Android is robust and so any high-end hardware with solid drivers and a stock ROM should be good-to-go.

The Following User Says Thank You to eachna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Wow, so Samsung are actually doing what Nokia has been fruitlessly promising since N770 and never came through on.

Not to mention Intel, another much mouth and no trousers outfit. Watch this from the IDF April 2008 and all the waffle on Moblin, MID's, Linsoft and the rest. What happened to that all of that?
http://software.intel.com/en-us/vide...moblin-at-idf/

Keep in mind that this is the same Intel that has just announced “this is by no means the end of MeeGo or the end to Intel’s commitment”
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/...ntel-and-meego

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:

Tags
competitors, fool me once..., palm is dead