Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I can't help but to think that he might have short-circuited the device and thus have damaged some electronic components. Seriously I've accidentally short-circuited some things in my life and so this comes into my mind. Recently I killed the usb-port of my laptop by connecting an usb charger with an opposite poled battery (which I didn't know, as it fit perfectly in the charger and was advertised as a clone...). I got awfully hot in around 10 minutes and was close before a fire, when I finally noticed it, cause it started to smell... I had big luck that I didn't lose more than just one of my usb ports...
I hope, I'm wrong...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I tried once more using usb charging and now it shows steady green light... i used another battery and it doesnt boot at all, so signs.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
All battery's get hot when used moderate or hard, no matter if they are new or old, but when they are old and capacity is down they have to "work" harder because the discharge rate (C) will be higher due to the lower capacity:
1320mAh drained at 500mA = 0.38C ("normal" work)
1100mAh drained at 500mA = 0.45C ("harder" work)

on the problem:
Sounds like there is a problem with your N900, one last thing is to take the battery out, press power button without battery or usb, see if this helps, if not try again and also short the + & - terminals in the phone (again without battery or usb), now try to turn on the n900 with the battery.
i tried shorting + & - terminals on the phone with and without battery and i also tried pressing power button with and without battery but no luck my n900 is total dead and i 'm depressed.

Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
I can't help but to think that he might have short-circuited the device and thus have damaged some electronic components. Seriously I've accidentally short-circuited some things in my life and so this comes into my mind. Recently I killed the usb-port of my laptop by connecting an usb charger with an opposite poled battery (which I didn't know, as it fit perfectly in the charger and was advertised as a clone...). I got awfully hot in around 10 minutes and was close before a fire, when I finally noticed it, cause it started to smell... I had big luck that I didn't lose more than just one of my usb ports...
I hope, I'm wrong...
sadly i think it could be this.. please god make it wrong.. I also went to Nokia care asking what could be the case and the man there tells me like something IC board might got burned.. and i was like.. arggg.. and demands me more than $100

Originally Posted by TransTech View Post
sadly i think it could be this.. please god make it wrong.. I also went to Nokia care asking what could be the case and the man there tells me like something IC board might got burned.. and i was like.. arggg.. and demands me more than $100
I fear the Nokia care guy was right.

You said:
"4] Placed the battery on n900 not inserted.. (half inserted)"

I wonder how this "half inserted" looked like.

I do not know and I do not want to try it on my N900, if it is possible
to half insert the battery the wrong way thus connecting
plus to minus or vice versa.

Looking at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thp4/4169413835/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gubatron/4627412953/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gubatro...n/photostream/
I'd say it is hardly possible to put the battery into the N900 in a
way to shortcircuit via contacts.
Maybe getting contact between +(Batt) and -(N900)
and -(Batt) and o(N900) is possible in certain circumstances
(leaving + of the N900 empty)?
Maybe Nokia should have put some distance between
'-' and 'o' contacts?
But the battery compartment is so narrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
I fear the Nokia care guy was right.

Looking at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thp4/4169413835/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gubatron/4627412953/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gubatro...n/photostream/
I'd say it is hardly possible to put the battery into the N900 in a
way to shortcircuit via contacts.
Maybe getting contact between +(Batt) and -(N900)
and -(Batt) and o(N900) is possible in certain circumstances
(leaving + of the N900 empty)?
Maybe Nokia should have put some distance between
'-' and 'o' contacts?
But the battery compartment is so narrow.
i think this could have happen.. i will send the photo, how i have halfly inserted the battery maybe in two hours. but what will happen if + of battery and - of phone and - of battery and o of phone placed. please reply

Below are the images showing how I kept/halfly inserted battery, i dont think + of battery and - of phone and - of battery and o of phone condition might had happend, recommend me what to do (flash or give it to nokia care for repair), i still get green led not the yellow led anymore when I connect it to usb or wall charger for the second time however first time i connect (after few hours break) to both usb and wall charger i did not get any led indication.

please help.

Anybody know what does the steady green led indicate when the N900 is connected to wall charger or usb without battery and steady yellow led while connected to wall charger and usb with and without battery.
Thanks

Ok so finally handed over my N900 to Nokia Care and now after properly inspecting they told theres some software problem ((probably bootloader crashed) (i think bootmenu was culprit)) and w'll return it by tomorrow and covered it in warranty.
Thank you everybody for helping in my time of need, really appreciate Maemo Community.

Originally Posted by TransTech View Post
i think this could have happen.. i will send the photo, how i have halfly inserted the battery maybe in two hours. but what will happen if + of battery and - of phone and - of battery and o of phone placed. please reply
I do not know what happens as I do not know the electronic schemata
of N900.
Nokia should have taken care of such a possibility.
But as your photo shows, it is nearly impossible, because the battery compartment is so small.

It is good that you have taken it to Nokia Care.
Perhaps you can post, what software problem it was?

Last edited by PMaff; 2011-04-25 at 14:04. Reason: added