Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Big Phat Jan View Post
Hi Gohan, I've searched the thread for "timeout" and "time out" and I can't find anyone else complaining of this issue. The only similar comments where from people using 3G and that was a different problem.

I don't know enough about the internal workings of Ruby to give you a proper answer, but your output suggests that Ruby gives a certain time limit after being told to request something from a web server before it will timeout.

Therefore if you have a flaky connection, or if the iplayer web site is undergoing difficulties you may get this error. As no one else has reported this error I think the most likely explanation is that you are having connection problems at your end. I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to solve them from here!

Perhaps if you have access to a wireless network at work or a friend's house where they don't mind you doing a test this would be an easy way of checking?

Cheers,
Jan
ok, one person was using 3g but problems stopped after switching to wi-fi. Post #71 from Anwarboy is the same problem I am experiencing. Anwarboy, did you manage to fix the problem? and is it with wifi or 3g?

It could be my connection but the PS3 connection (online games) and my web browsing on the n900 is fine. I will investigate.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
ok, one person was using 3g but problems stopped after switching to wi-fi. Post #71 from Anwarboy is the same problem I am experiencing. Anwarboy, did you manage to fix the problem? and is it with wifi or 3g?

It could be my connection but the PS3 connection (online games) and my web browsing on the n900 is fine. I will investigate.
I may be wrong but my reading of Anwarboy's post suggest he was having a different problem. He didn't get the "timeout" errors, it appeared to finish but hadn't downloaded the whole file. I seem to remember (again could be wrong) some other people reporting this behaviour on 3G, but not on wifi.

Anyway, good luck with your investigations.

Jan

I may be wrong but my reading of Anwarboy's post suggest he was having a different problem. He didn't get the "timeout" errors, it appeared to finish but hadn't downloaded the whole file. I seem to remember (again could be wrong) some other people reporting this behaviour on 3G, but not on wifi.

Anyway, good luck with your investigations.

Jan
His problem is exactly the same as mine. His downloads would stop before 100% and would not play correctly. When mine stop, I re-enter iplayer URL (by pressing up) and the download will continue where it left off but the file would not play properly and cut off somewhere during playback.

After some tests it appears to timeout a few minutes after when the n900 isn't doing anything else on the Internet. If I am doing stuff on the Internet in the background, it seems to reach 100% fine in most cases (I need to test this more)

Could a power saving feature cause this? Please, if someone could download the link below on their n900 using wi-fi and leave the device idle. Please tell me if it reaches 100% without timing out. Thanks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Pill_Poppers/

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Are you sure it worked for Heroes before? I think heroes may not be available for iPhone
There are a lot of iPlayer episodes that aren't available for the iPhone, as Jan says.

If you don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch at hand, your best bet is to teach your laptop to "pretend" to be an iPhone by changing the UserAgent string it sends to websites. This can be easily done with the FireFox addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/59?src=api. The URLs you find with this should be usable with the iplayer-dl code we've been discussing.

Make sure that you turn it off after looking at the iPlayer site, or you'll find that web looks a little funny... :-)

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
if someone could download the link below on their n900 using wi-fi and leave the device idle. Please tell me if it reaches 100% without timing out. Thanks

Have you tried the links that I gave in an earlier post? They all ended in the form b00q9jfs...

gohan2091

Your URL

works perfectly on my Wifi- just finished it at 100%

The Following User Says Thank You to mark01 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Have you tried the links that I gave in an earlier post? They all ended in the form b00q9jfs...
I don't remember, what is your point may I ask? Are you suggesting I remove some of the URL ending? I did manage to successfully download the file in the end but took 6 attempts (twice it reached 98% then stopped)

Thanks Mark01, did you leave your device idle while downloading?

Last edited by gohan2091; 2010-01-26 at 23:41.

OK - Update Time............

First Thank you Jan for pointing out where I might have gone wrong. However there is nothing in your post which can be related to anything I have done whatsoever - I am a total noob when it comes to these things so have to insert everything as it's stated literally, I have done so and can confirm that nothing you suggest is relevant.

I can honestly say that after inserting the echo command I immediately got the problem of not being able to re-boot. The phone was working perfectly beforehand. I never inserted the command "iplayer-dl http:// etc etc etc" - not sure where that came from I always inserted the command "iplayer http:// etc etc etc".

So I seem to think that it was something to do with the echo command - after all I did nothing other than that before the problem started!

However more to the point, I waited with baited breath for you to confirm that my versions of Ruby and iplayer-dl were correct but over the last few posts you have not answered my questions at all leaving me to assume things were ok - you make assumptions then give the possible consequences - sorry to say that but that has been the situation since I started - yes I think I got the outputs from the commands wrong in the beginning but I stress nothing had a detremental effect until this morning, when, after you did not answer my questions regarding the software versions, I entered the echo command. It was this command that started messing with my WiFi connection - up to then my WiFi connection had been stable since I got my phone originally - not once had I been disconnected. So were the software versions correct? - given that others might have inadvertently upgraded their copies of Ruby too, I think it would have been appropriate to say which version is the correct one and which isn't - VERSION NUMBERS please.

So no, I do not believe it had nothing to do with the echo command, far from it.

OK that's my tuppence -worth but let me say this too please.......

I know that there are people out there who have got this to work so I know that you have got something here albeit in the development phase. I would stress to noobs not to even think about doing anything until a full application with a proper GUI is posted in a catelogue other than a development one or testing one. I am sure with all Jan's hard work, this can not be long off?

I take full responsibility for my actions but stress again that it must have had something to do with the inputting the echo command which caused my problems.

As for my phone - it was still within the 28-day replacement guarantee and the lovely guys at my local shop replaced the phone this morning before I went to work . I will not be undertaking anything like this again, I value my phone too much, even though re-flashing it, probably would have restored it back to good working order with the original Factory Settings.

Good luck to all who venture before a full application is released

roz

Last edited by rozel; 2010-01-27 at 00:25.

gohan2091

Yeap - the phone was left idling whilst it downloaded, nothing else going on.

mark01

The Following User Says Thank You to mark01 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mark01 View Post
gohan2091

Yeap - the phone was left idling whilst it downloaded, nothing else going on.

mark01
I really appreciate it, thanks

This is odd and I still don't think it's my connection as my brother plays online games on PS3 without any dropouts/problems.

When my monitor is repaired and I can use my PC again,l I think I will download iplayer video files from my PC then transfer to n900.