Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by eson View Post
I just wanted a notification or anything to show that patches really is unapplyed.
The system popups at the top of the screen and the whole process delayed by unapplying the patches is not good enough for ya?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The system popups at the top of the screen and the whole process delayed by unapplying the patches is not good enough for ya?
Please read the whole conversation. I ran the upgrade operation the whole way until the very last moment where you actually start upgrading, and there was not a single sign of anything happening with unapplying patches.

I know English is not my native language, but am I really that unintelligible?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Did you ever tried to upgrade with patch enabled? Please do it once and then we can continue conversation, okay?

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Did you ever tried to upgrade with patch enabled? Please do it once and then we can continue conversation, okay?
Ohh I probably will, but you obviously still don't understand what I'm talking about.
If I do what you say and actually hit the upgrade button, it will be like jumping out of an aeroplane without checking the parachute.
If you give me just a hint, a message like "Patches will be unapplied", BEFORE I hit the button... well, parachute checked.

The Following User Says Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
@eson
WE don't understand you

You will not be able to upgrade your system anyway UNTIL all patches will be unapplied successfully. If one or more patches will be failed to unapply - you WILL NOT be able to upgrade OS. Obviously, you will get standard ausmt-notifies about failed/succeed patches.

Originally Posted by Ancelad View Post
@eson
WE don't understand you

You will not be able to upgrade your system anyway UNTIL all patches will be unapplied successfully. If one or more patches will be failed to unapply - you WILL NOT be able to upgrade OS. Obviously, you will get standard ausmt-notifies about failed/succeed patches.
How am I supposed to know that? Or more important, how is the next "average Joe" supposed to understand that?
Well, I give up. I will not bother you again.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It's all down to trust. You either trust coderus' patch or you don't. If you do, you just press tbe button and watch the succession of "patch unapplied" popups for the next 5 minutes. If you don't, you unapply them manually first and don't get any popups. Either way you are safe.

I see where you are coming from but you have to realize that you just have to trust something. Every time you board a plane, you have to assume that someone has checked it for you. You do not expect a big neon sign saying that the tank is full.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It's all down to trust. You either trust coderus' patch or you don't. If you do, you just press tbe button and watch the succession of "patch unapplied" popups for the next 5 minutes. If you don't, you unapply them manually first and don't get any popups. Either way you are safe.
I did an upgrade yesterday with coderus' unapply patch. No waiting for the next 5 minutes. You see about two or three popups then the device shuts to upgrade. Everything works fine. Events screen then shows all patches unapplied (and all patches are off in patchmanager settings)

(Jolla1, 2.0.2.48->51, about 10 patches)

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I can make -paranoid version of patch just for fun

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by eson View Post
Ohh I probably will, but you obviously still don't understand what I'm talking about.
If I do what you say and actually hit the upgrade button, it will be like jumping out of an aeroplane without checking the parachute.
If you give me just a hint, a message like "Patches will be unapplied", BEFORE I hit the button... well, parachute checked.
It worked for me at the last upgrade. I completely forgot about disabling patches (and indeed the no-worries upgrade by coderus), and only remembered when it rebooted and I saw the standard folders. Expecting to have to uninstall all the patches, I brought up patchmanager and was pleasantly surprised to see that I could enable my installed patches.

Tags
patchmanager, sailfish os