Active Topics

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
When I'm done with my exams I'm going to sit down and write upgrade-deblet - the functionality is already there just not nicely done. The idea is that once you have the system installed with the installer, it has installed a local APT repository on the file system, that can be rebuilt with new changes from SVN easily, and you can upgrade just like you would with apt-get upgrade - so you don't have to reinstall by with new fancy package/feature
Thats not going to include an upgrade from beta3 to deblet though is it??
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It would be nice to have something that lets you start with a generic Debian rootfs (from a tarball, or whatever) and it will build the local repo and then "upgrade" to Deblet.

Ah! Here are my recent experiences tweaking the XFCE desktop. What we get out of the box is not quite ideal, since it is not a full xfce4-session. Indeed, xfce session is not actually running (which I think contributes to some of the instability). I installed GDM because I want to play with a few different desktops on here. This way I could also select that I wanted to log in to a real XFCE 4 session, with xfwm and everything!
There is probably a better way, but I'm a wimp and like my GUIs

If you do this, make sure you reconfigure gdm because by default it works in a way that renders the touch screen unusable. This means you will find yourself with an astoundingly useless system thanks to our limited hardware keyboard and will need to edit config files from a different operating system. (Next-gen accessibility: System should work at least well enough to launch a terminal with arbitrary few keyboard keys out of the box).
The GNOME for debian beta 4 thread covers how to reconfigure GDM, and is probably worth keeping as a reference since xfce and GNOME do share quite a bit.

After doing this, I was very pleased. First of all, it is now dead easy to overcome that 'windows too big for the screen' thing. By default, this requires the Alt modifier key. However, you can go into the settings manager, open Window Manager Tweaks. It now works (I notice the default session runs Matchbox, which XFCE did not like -- although it too overcomes that too big windows issue thanks to its dead cool function for dragging windows anywhere they aren't listening for events).
Sorry about the rambling. Okay, in the window manager tweaks dialog, go to Accessibility. Here you can change the modifier key used to perform fancy window operations. I used Ctrl, since I don't think I ctrl click very often. (Chr would have been a better sacrifice. Too tired to check... does it map to anything?)

Extra bonus: You can turn on window compositing! Impress your friends now with drop shadows and semi-opaque dialogs!

Edit:
Oho, Chr maps to Alt! That sure renders me irrelevent. Well, I guess there is only one point left to this post then... you can do compositing

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-08-12 at 16:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Extra bonus: You can turn on window compositing! Impress your friends now with drop shadows and semi-opaque dialogs!
"um," your friends will say, "why does everything go so slowly when you make the windows transparent?"

(I tried it too... kinda cool, but a bit frustratingly slow...)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
"um," your friends will say, "why does everything go so slowly when you make the windows transparent?"

(I tried it too... kinda cool, but a bit frustratingly slow...)
Yes; but there is always that wish for a translucent keyboard...

yeah, there's that... sigh...

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I myself am running Marrine, witch is a gtk engine, for handling high-end graphics and effects (translucentcy, transparentcy, glass effects ect... or at least that's what it is suppose to do) and i've ben getting some luck out of it, the only problem i have ben getting was from trying to find transparent/translucent themes for it

Also, i know that this is a off-topic question but, does ennyone know ware to find the "Emerald theme manager"?, I'm shure that it is available (I've herd of people using it in debian) and wanted to try it out.

Btw, here are some awsom screenshots of my desktop
Attached Images

My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-08-13 at 00:49.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
UPDATE: I am now installing compiz using "apt-get -t experimental install compiz -b", witch allows all sorts of cool 3D effects, Hope my tablet doesn't blow up! , wish me luck; i'm going to need it!
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

Last edited by b-man; 2008-08-13 at 01:44.

UPDATE2: Nope, when ever i try to run it from the command line it displays tons of errors related to xorg and gnome's wm crashes so i can't get out of the window

Last edited by b-man; 2008-08-13 at 02:55.

Dont feel bad... my tablet teases me too.. it gets to around 33% compiled for kdebase and then the CPU decides it can't take anymore and reboots the damn thing and I lose it all.

5 times I tried recompiling today... just tried setting up scratchbox but that was a PITA and waste of time... REALLY annoying that this is the last step for at least a bootable KDE 4.1... it went 18 hours and compiled the near 1gb kdebase-workspace.. but nuuuuu.. can't handle the MUCH smaller kdebase itself.. blasted tablet.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
debian, deblet