Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Please read the ocumentation correctly on the Nokia site. Everything, inluding the N810, N800 and N770 are listed in phones section as Nokia doesn't have another section. This one has been gone over several times in the past with numerous threads. The other bit you might have missed is the numerous references to the fact that this is a device for early adopters and not intended as a mass market device yet.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Using "Its not a phone!" to sidestep lack of features" with one post has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
On Nokia's own website (on the product page under sales) they call it a phone you can also find it when you click the "search for phones link".....

Taken from the N900 product page for the US site:

http://store.nokia.com/webapp/wcs/st...na-fd_n900_001

Online Store
Nokia N900 Experience the speed and raw power of the high-performance N900 mobile computer.

Quick facts
extreme speed and performance
keep your conversation going

Coming from a DROID, and still having a Moto Q, the 900 had almost as much utility, if not more, out of the box than both of the others. I don't know of any that have built-in SIP clients and direct dial out of contacts, via multiple methods, like the 900 has.

As a "phone", the 900 does "more" than my previous smartphones. Sorry its not working for you. Now I do wish it had some of the Touc Pro 2's conference and speed dialing features, but the TP2 is a different beast altogether.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
What, exactly is a "robust" phone application?

It's already more than any device I've tried previously, and at my job we get a huge cycle of devices in (G1, DROID, MyTouch, etc.)
I still think the Android OS is more polished. And I'm talking the Android OS when I got the G1 on release day, Little things like auto punctuation go a long way. But what really hurts the n900 is lack of apps. I'm sure it gets better with time but I don't see it being as robust as the Android market.

I don't have the time to read this entire thread so if this analogy has been used sue me. But there are netbooks and laptops that have a cellular radio. Doesn't make them phones. The N900 is whatever Nokia wants it to be. Designed for someone just like me; I hardly ever make calls, so all those features people expect are abstract to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
okay - honestly - what is the difference between an iPhone and an N900?

They both run a Unix variant
iPhone can't multitask 3rd party software - N900 can
iPhone does not have XTerminal
iPhone is a "closed" platform - N900 is open (kind of)
iPhone might not do flash in the browser - who cares? Most of the things you need flash for - have dedicated iPhone applications (youtube, Hulu (announced), iplayer)

N900 cant connect to VPN (unless you are a Linux geek - and mind setting up certificates and complex scripts) iPhone can connect to many kinds of VPN - right out of the box.

N900 has hardware keyboard - iPhone has software keyboard - they both work fine - and I can type about the same speed on both.

But apart from the above they are pretty damn close. Hardware is not far apart and base OS is not really that far apart either. Both have okay processors - mediocre cameras, GPS, lots of storage, works as video players, both syncs with Exchange (N900 is a bit crippled compared to iPhone in that respect)

Why I have N900? SIP client (like WinMo have as standard, or S60 has as standard)

So guys - what is the difference? Why is one a mobile computer and the other "just a smartphone"? Cut the crap - both devices are cut from the same sheet of Electronics Design paper with very little difference in specs. N900 has it good point - but so does the iPhone.

The worst thing about the N900 is that the phone implementation - made by one of the LARGEST companies making phones - is so badly made. No even up to Nokia 3100 standards.

Remember Windows CE - started out a bit like N7xx/N800 as a PDA device. No Phone implemented. Then HP/Compaq made a Phone Jacket you could plug your iPaq into - and then it was a phone. (that was about 8 year ago) Should we compare the N900 with the iPaq with a Phone Jacket? No not really - but actually the Phone Jacket for the iPaq was a more complete phone implementation than what Nokia has delivered with the N900.

So stop *****ing at each other - start asking Nokia nicely to make a better Phone implementation you can be proud of - and have the best Multimedia Computer Phone money can buy.

If the Phone implementation was up to usual Nokia standards - then this discussion would never have taken place. But Nokia has been lazy and to quick to put the N900 onto the market - and everyone who bought the THING based on Nokias advertising is the looser. The N7xx/N8xx are winners because they know where the N900 comes from and had lower expectations. But every High end device from Nokia the past few years has been promoted as a "mobile computer" to begin with incl. both E90 and N97. So why should the N900 be different?

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
my biggest complaint is the fact that i have a device that doesnt have decent battery , because of the reboot problem fix.. that is why it doesnt act like a phone- it doesnt last long enough.(yes i could have taken it back and still can under warranty at any pooint- but they are telling me it will be fixed in a f/w update WHEN???????. the email doesnt work as expected for me- and that should work on a phone these days- it should certainly work on a computer????!?..!
Not trying to single you out, but what is it about the 900 "not being enough of a phone" that people are complaining about?

Having a Motorola Q for the past 2 years, and returning my 2nd Droid after 3 weeks, as a VoIP engineer, the 900 is a Godsend for me. The built-in SIP client alone makes it more of a "phone" than my other two devices. Aside from my USB port coming completely detached, having the 900 has been an issue free experience as far as browsing, email, and calls (save for call volume being on the low side). FWIW, the 900's email client is flawless compared to the Droid's native email apps (both Exchange and POP3)...talk about issues.

I kinda agree with you on the battery...but going into it, I didn't expect much more than a day given the 900's mAh rating, which is about what I'm getting now. All those issues were solved via an extended Seidio battery for the other phones.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
one more minor thing that bugs me is the inability to sort my web bookmarks alphabetically. They appear in a totally random order. That is a sign of being unfinished regardless of what we call the 900.
I believe they get sorted from the most used to the least used, from the top, and when two entries have the same number of visits the one visited more recently goes above.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
I know its a phone, but when I'm playing mario 64, watching movies, or when I remote desktop into my home pc, ect...

and then someone calls.....
in intensive apps the screen kinda stops for a couple secs and I get that weird feeling like
"Oh yeah, i forgot its a phone too."

The Following User Says Thank You to lordnibbla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It looks like one, it's priced like one, it's made to compete in the same segment as all the others.

It's a smartphone.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!