That site has more advertisement than content.

Talking about the hardware keyboard

I liked this new design - with a nice pointer on the keyboard itself

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/04/3...-a-sexy-piece/

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
OMG, a speculation website around the new tablet
Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I gotta unlink from that guy.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
External access is not needed -- the big benefit from Nokia's side is not so much that they can sell it to the twenty diehard geeks who want to have five different cards and swap them in and out, but that the same product can be adapted to different markets (i.e. different WWAN standards), or even new networks (maybe LTE?) by only changing the comm card, and for that purpose it can be under the battery cover or even fully internal. And assuming the new hardware is as easy to disassemble as the N8x0 have been, even a fully internal slot (miniPCIe or similar) would not lose much of the appeal to the score of card-swapping geeks, either.

I'd personally prefer an expresscard slot (because I don't mind making the device thicker), but the sanest option for Nokia would probably be miniPCIe, in either the full- or half-length form-factor. Either of these carries power, PCIe, and USB signals, and USB-only versions would be fine, too. (Most WWAN cards for them use only the USB for data anyway, although they have to use 1.5V and 3.3V supply instead of the 5V they could get from a USB port.) This costs some space, to be sure, but not requiring edge space improves design freedom substantially, so the space can be taken where it will have the least impact.
Oh God, yes.

When I was looking at using the 770 or N800 as a mobile auditing tool (inside Nokia of all places ), my boss asked two things:

- can it scan? read: bar codes, RFID, etc
- can it take pictures?

I had to reply no, but that wasn't a showstopper. Our status quo mode (auditor walking around with pencil and clipboard, with access to a shared camera, who later re-entered findings into stationary PC) didn't have any such integration either.

I started lobbying for the sort of solutions you're mentioning, Benson, but I was met with this:

No industrial intentions for product.

Now, you're not talking industrial. You're smartly saying that even consumer products can benefit from modularity. But I'm still thinking: why NOT an industrial variant? Ruggedized, larger gripping area, card-swap capability, etc. I *know* there is a market.

So I still don't get it. There's this huge untapped market for the tablet tech just sitting there, begging to be filled. In fact if I'd managed this product line I would have gone there first. Think of the sheer number of hours that would have been put into field-testing. Nokia could have focused on a select few commercial apps (inventory, auditing, etc) which could have been ported over from existing Linux apps. Better yet, just focus on the web capabilities since many such applications are net-based nowadays anyway.

Hardcore Linux geeks would have gladly bought these industrial devices and gone to town on them. By the time Nokia was ready for a consumer variant (aka Now) the virtual lifecycle of the product(s) could have been much longer, ie providing more feedback for further R&D.

Crap, I just wrote a blog article outside my blog...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-06 at 13:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It's going to be using an ARM OMAP2 processor
Wrong. It is going to be using some ARM-based SoC, most likely the same as 5800. Anyone from Nokia willing to tell us what this SoC is? I hope it is not breaking anyone's NDA as one can just as well open the phone and check.

It's going to be running Symbian
Well, this at least means you will be able to use it for phone calls

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The owner, Ionel Florin Negru, owns some 250 domains, and the web sites on most of them appear to hold little to no content.
Just say that the guy is a cybersquatter and an AdWords "performance optimizer".

Remember this thread? I had mostly forgotten it till I started looking for some stuff I wrote about modular cell technology in handheld devices.

Even though the Xoom isn't pocketable, and it's using a bus technology you won't find in a handheld, I still say "Eat Me" to the naysayers:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...blet-to-4g.ars

Tags
i want my mtv, pass the butter, pub talk, wet dreams, wishful thinking