Active Topics

Closed Thread
Thank you for your research, Estel. Vignetting is to be expected because of how wide the stock lens is, but I didn't know how bad it would be. When you say most of the frame is obscured, how big do you think of a cropped frame do you think would be usable? One possible way to get around this (theoretically) would be to have a small macro (telephoto) converter between the stock lens and the mounted lens, but this is undesirable because it would introduce additional complexity and also you want to avoid too much glass because of light loss.

I'll send you a PM shortly.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Thanks, and sorry for late reply - I was away for a few days, and my main N900 motherboard's died hopelessly (leaving me with losing all data from encrypted partitions - lesson earned, backup not only rootfs and optfs, but do encrypted backups of encrypted partitions, to... Well, before, no hardware failure left me without access to eMMC).

Replaced it, and everything should be back on track, shortly. Just need to redownload that damn secret datasheet, as it vanished together with eMMC of former mobo.

/Estel

//Edit

As for frame, I'll post sample picture later, to show how bad (or good) the case is.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Sorry to hear about the hardware failure and encrypted data loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
How you replaced the emmc?? And how it died??

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
How you replaced the emmc?? And how it died??
OOT here, but just for the record - I replaced eMMC by simplest method, explained in my previous post. Just swapped it together with whole mb (motherboard ). eMMC didn't died, just something in power circuity (whole, not only charging) did - no visible damage, but after removing shield, i felt "favorite" scent of burnt-out electronic.
---

malfunctioning, thanks. Well, it take it as lesson to backup in case of even less likely-to-happen scenarios. For all those years, I never seen damage like that - device worked for months (and that particular day, for hours)hours, wasn't over-heating or anything - I slided keyboard, locked screen, and put it into my pocket to leave train. 5 minutes later, when I wanted to make a call, it was dead already (thought that battery was out of power). S*** happens...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I just considered, that this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...74&postcount=9

...may be of interest for people interested on this project. Whole Huz's topic, too - I remember some people opting for flat tablet-like design, with keyboard hard-fixed under screen.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hi Estel,

Tried to get in touch w/ you a couple of times - I'd appreciate if you'd respond.

peb
N900 backplane supporter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PEB For This Useful Post:
Hey Peter,

Strange, I send a couple of e-mails after our touch-in in IRC, but received none (just re-tried again, at this exact moment). Those 3D scans you mentioned earlier would help a *much* even now - I can put them into 4nec antenna design program as complicated ground plane (in case of metallic device), getting at least some help in fighting dreaded radio performance problems. For sure, it would be more precise than results of hand-measurement turn into my pitiful drawings (well, not exactly bare hand.measurements, but you get the idea).

If, for some weirdo reasons it don't make through, give me a sign through PM here, OK? It don't like to use this system for anything serious, due to lack of reliability (hint: ban-trigger-happy admins, hint2: no one can guarantee forum won't vanish tomorrow), but it will have to do, until we filter out WTF is happening with our mails.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-30 at 02:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
From heise.de (h-online.com) I have learned, a good combination for 3D scanning at home would be a kinect and ReconstructMe. There has been a series of articles lately, especially in c't. I am not sure if they have published an equivalent article in English.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Sure, as long as someone can donate kinect&friends required to run it

Seriously though, I've investigated methods of building reliable, yet affordable 3d scanner - from simple laser-line designs, to brilliant phase-shift ones, displaying combination of black&white lines on object via projector, and calculating model in few seconds (some nice source code examples for software side are available).

The problem is, that if I'll start constructing another behemot project, I'll never finish ones started already. Time/manpower limitations Adjusting my self-manufactured CNC machine to precision levels adequate for N900 bodies took looot of time. Now, finishing backcover/body projects comes first, *then* building 3D printer, *then* 3D scanner.

There are so much amazing projects worth instantly jumping into (openpilot, anyone?) constructing, that without "discipline", I would sink in dozens of started&unfinished ones. My finances are following would follow me, quickly.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel