Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Zhaan View Post
Due to security restrictions I cannot get my N800 on the same network as my work computer, therefore the hotsync is not working. Assuming there is no way to get this to sync via the cable, can I copy certain palm files from my PC to my SD card or the the N800? If so what and how? Thank you!
Yes Zhaan you can!

1) Find the .prc and .pdb files on your pc (likely c:\program files\palmone\<your hotsync name>\backup (or archive)

2) copy them to a SD card

3) place the SD card in your Nokia and use GVM to 'Install' (the button) them.

Just a note: If you 'Launch' the emulator (run a palm program from GVM - pick one, it doesn't matter) your installs go much faster

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Yes Zhaan you can!

1) Find the .prc and .pdb files on your pc (likely c:\program files\palmone\<your hotsync name>\backup (or archive)

2) copy them to a SD card

3) place the SD card in your Nokia and use GVM to 'Install' (the button) them.
This doesn't work for the calendar, contacts, etc. files. They aren't stored as installable files.

Also, you need to sync at least once to get a hot sync ID. So if you have any registered software, it won't work.

See my other post in this forum, about the GVM shortcuts.. according to the gvm options it should be possible to launch the emulator with a hotsync name specified as a startup parameter (you may have to dig out the hotsync id (the number) too though)

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
From Rlauzon:
This doesn't work for the calendar, contacts, etc. files. They aren't stored as installable files.

Also, you need to sync at least once to get a hot sync ID. So if you have any registered software, it won't work.
Ah Rlauzon - right you are. You could maybe use a SyncML site to get dat up and down instead (like GSMSync, Goosync ...)? I think I've seen a SyncML client or plugin being talked about for the N800 - not sure.

From Ta-t3:
according to the gvm options it should be possible to launch the emulator with a hotsync name specified as a startup parameter (you may have to dig out the hotsync id (the number) too though)
Hey, the Palm app ChangeName (download it here) will give you that info on your existing Palm - just don't use it in the emulator. TA-t3 made me aware of that - it doesn't do the job in the right way - too bad

I can get sync to work (using Missingsync on a Mac), but can't get it to register the user name and userid (number) on the n800. As a result, the sync of DocsToGo doesn't work -- tried ChangeName, but that didn't work. I couldn't find the userid Missingsync was looking for -- synchronization uses that, not the user name. If I could access the DocsToGo files on the N800 from anywhere than within the virtual Garnet OS, I wouldn't need to sync -- could just copy the files over to my PC. Unfortunately, I can't find any program that can see the storage area Garnet creates. Anyone have suggestions on any of this? Thanks....

I am not trying to hotsync but still need to register my Hotsync name in my N810 for a certain application (Bible with you) to run normally. It has an unlock file (supplied once you pay for the software) and it finds this ok when I scan but then says the hotsync name for which it was issued does not match.

So... how can I set the hotsync name in Garnet VM on my N810? I see from above that ChangeName does not work on the IT's so have not tried this.

You can start gvm manually with userid specified.
Code:
/usr/bin/gvm/gvm --help
lists the options. Check out -u (or --hotsyncid=)
You can start the application at the same time if you know the appid, see -a

If you get that working then you can script it so that you can start your particular application(s) with the hotsync name you want. There are some other threads around about how to do that kind of scripting.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Thanks TA-t3. You actually anticipated my thought process. I was thinking if I can get the hotsync name sorted I'll see if I can use a command line to directly start that application. Then if I can script it and start it with an icon - well that would be the 'Leamings toe clippings' (or cats meow or something)!

Pushwall did actually show a way to permanently register the name in the N810 so I will give this a try anyway.

Thanks again

I installed my calendar and contacts as installable files. You have to remember that the GVM uses the older datebook and address files, not the newer extended calendar and contact files from the TX. You have to use the versions from before NVFS was introduced, i.e. datebook and address, not calendar and contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to sgosnell For This Useful Post:
The T3 also uses calendar and contacts, which at 5.2.1 is still pre-NVFS.

Tags
garnet, palm