Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Russia, Moscow
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Although it won't work atm, is there are reason that the layers themselves couldn't have arbitrary lat/long conversion schemes to more easily support different map input formats?
The main reason is performance. If tile adressing is the same for base map and for layer on top of it, every tile of the base map have only one overlapping tile of layer. In that case, drawing of map is simple -- we combine all layers' images on top of each base map image and draw the result. If addressing can be different, this process is complicated significantly. In that case we must find overlapping areas of layer's tile to find what to draw on top of base map's tile. There are efficient algorithms and data structures to achieve that (kd-trees, for example) but it still will be too much for n8x0 processor.

Ok, so the best plan is to simply use web-server pre-processing of any other data to ensure it's in the correct form.

Well done on the layer stuff, anyone in England have any thoughts on where we can get traffic (and indeed weather) "maps"?

Originally Posted by Shmuma View Post
Hello,

recently I finished maemo mapper patch which supports layers displayed on top of base map. Initially this planned to display transparent google traffic tiles on top of google street or google satellite map, but implementation is quite generic (any amount of layers which can be turned on and off), so you can find other usages.

You can download deb here. It was tested on n810 and n800 under chinook and diablo.

To display google traffic, you need to add layer (In dialog Maps->Manage repositories press 'Layers' button) with URL http://mt0.google.com/mapstt?zoom=%0d&x=%d&y=%d

Layer's tiles have autorefresh feature which will track age (in minutes) of each layer's tile and redownload tile when age is expired (As traffic tiles are very small, gprs is enougth). To turn automatic tile fetching on, set layer's attribute to value greater than zero.

There is also new action 'Toggle layers' which can be bind to tablet hardware key. It toggles visible layers on and off, to see original underlying map.

You can download patch here.

Source tarball.

2gnuite: There are at least two feature requests which can be closed by this patch (921 and 2354), can it be imported in official sources?
I'll take a look at it and try to incorporate it into the mainline. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I want to make sure everything works as it should.

Thanks a lot for doing this. I had been meaning to implement this for a long time, and your contribution saves me a lot of time!

Originally Posted by Shmuma View Post
Sorry, this won't work. WMS maps need external utility for lat-lon to tile addressing translation (/usr/bin/cs2cs IIRC). Even if this utility is installed, layer's tile addressing scheme must match to underlying map's. In other words, layer's tiles must exactly match tiles they are drawn on. All maps repositories supported by MM by default, have google scheme (which is WGS on top of sphere).

Layers can be implemented to support any tile addressing, but this would be extremely inefficient and too complicated (we must deal not with whole tile, but with part of it).

I did a quick search for weather services for google maps, and found nothing usefull. All services display weather information as points on top of google map which handled by javascript.
I haven't looked at your patch yet, but Maemo Mapper already has support for WMS-based repositories, assuming you've also installed the "proj" package (which does the translation to which you're referring). Does your patch make it impossible for WMS-based repositories to work?

By the way, if the patch allows arbitrary repositories to be used as layers (except maybe WMS-based ones), then it should also allow people to use the Google version of Virtual Earth's "Hybrid" maps. The reason Google's never worked was because they use multiple layers for their hybrid maps.

To get Google's "road overlay" (aka "labels") layer (which should be drawn on top of Google's satellite layer) would use a repository URL format like this:

http://mt.google.com/mt?v=w2t.999&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d

Once the patch is incorporated, I'll add this URL format to the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I haven't looked at your patch yet, but Maemo Mapper already has support for WMS-based repositories, assuming you've also installed the "proj" package (which does the translation to which you're referring). Does your patch make it impossible for WMS-based repositories to work?
No, WMS is working as it should, I have mean another constraint: layer's tiles must use the the same tile addressing (tilex and tiley) as base map. But after more thinking I see that I was wrong: all supported repositories (including WMS) use google's tilex/tiley. This is not true only for Yandex maps which is't included in patch, but included in source tarball and deb.

By the way, if the patch allows arbitrary repositories to be used as layers (except maybe WMS-based ones), then it should also allow people to use the Google version of Virtual Earth's "Hybrid" maps. The reason Google's never worked was because they use multiple layers for their hybrid maps.

To get Google's "road overlay" (aka "labels") layer (which should be drawn on top of Google's satellite layer) would use a repository URL format like this:

http://mt.google.com/mt?v=w2t.999&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d

Once the patch is incorporated, I'll add this URL format to the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread.
BTW, mt.google.com sometimes returns 404 on requests. But mt0.google.com works fine.

I'll take a look at it and try to incorporate it into the mainline. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I want to make sure everything works as it should.
It would be great, thanks .

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Installed the traffic overlay for Google Maps, works great on my N800 / Diablo. Looking forward to a "weather" overlay.

Nice add. Definite wish answered. Quick question though; If you leave the cache entry empty where does the cache go?

Tags
maemomapper