Active Topics

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
/media/mmc1/
So does anything use that by default, and does it get exported as mass storage over the USB? Aside from the possibilities of using it to expand /home or /opt, it seems to me that if it isn't fairly visible for something by default there's going to be a lot of confused users.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
I noticed yesterday that the Application Manager complained of memory being full. that was followed by a lot of 'Operation Failed' messages.

'df' showed that the root partition was at 100%. So I quickly removed a bunch of applications and was able to bring it down 88%.
There is also a bug that results in a reboot being required to show the correct amount free space after app removal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I know personally I was thinking of removing the vfat and opt partitions and format/expand home to the whole eMMC. Then hopefully I can set it so that only the microSD card is exported over mass storage, as most of my data transfer will be via a Linux machine anyway so mostly I will not need mass storage support.

It is bad though that we have to do this. The partition scheme should have been better thought out. I am certainly thinking in the above scenario I may also symlink some stuff from root to home as well. I do not want to have to worry about root filling up.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
So does anything use that by default...
The MicroSD/SDHC card, if any, is visible through the File Manager and open/save dialogs in applications. It may be used for storing and exchanging audio files, video files, documents, and other data files.

...does it get exported as mass storage over the USB?
If the MicroSD/SDHC card is not in use by an application at the time the USB mass storage connection is made, yes, it is made available over USB.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This happens most probably because you are installing applications from extras-devel that haven't gone through the process of using the internal memory card to install files.
Is there an easy way to tell if the app is optified? I do have the extras-dev and extras-testing enabled in order to test and report issues.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
PS: can you please share the thicker apps you had installed to see where we should put our attention first? Feel free filing bugs asking them to use /opt and MyDocs as much as possible as explained in the link above.
Unfortunately, other than Vim, I don't remember what apps I uninstalled. Vim was the biggest app (20mb) of them all. So I removed it along with a bunch of others. I re-installed Vim (coz I can't live without it ) but didn't see a spike in the '/' usage. so not sure what is going on. perhaps because 'df' didn't report correctly (Bug 5450 ) Checking opt after the Vim installation showed Vim-related files so I think Vim is optified.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
arachnist's question regarding JTAG/serial console over USB has been moved to its own thread. Those interested in the topic, please continue discussion there.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
Is there an easy way to tell if the app is optified? I do have the extras-dev and extras-testing enabled in order to test and report issues.
dpkg -L packageme shows all files installed by a package. Testing effort can be concentrated on extras-testing because packages held only in extras-devel probably are there for a reason.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Has installing non-repository apps been confirmed as the root cause for the problem here, or is this going to be a cluster-fook for everyone?

If this is an issue, Nokia will scare all but the tech geeks away from this device. You tech geeks rock, but you do not drive most of the sales for the product.

The delay could be a blessing, but cause N900 preorders to get canceled in droves- if issues like this are a common problem.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Effectively (it seems to me) the Nokia warning says "don't use your tablet normally; if you do, whatever happens is your fault". It is not unusual to install programs not from the manufacturer; I have done that on every computer I have ever had starting with the Sinclair I got at k-mart. And this is a little computer, not a mere phone.
this is not a bug.

this is about software not optimized for this operating system.

if you install w7 software on your win2000 sinclair, it won't work either.

edit:
ok, didn't get the ZX81 reference, no win2k
but you know what i'm saying.

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-10-23 at 13:08.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Is there any app in extras (-stable) not optified? How could that happen?

In case you're talking about extras-devel apps, then OpenTTD is not optified and is probably around 6-10 MiB.