Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Competition? Which competition? Isn't EVERYBODY, at this point, competition already? Surely, you meant that in jest.
You misundereadwronglyed that.

Not N9 vs GSII, but newegg vs othereggs.

Once webshop 1 and webshop 2 starts actually start selling the N9's they've had for preordering, and webshop 3 and webshop 4 start selling them too, the price of the N9 will drop on both webshop 1 and webshop 2. It's often a two step process with preorders:

1: Put out a guesstimate price, allow preorders with a price reservation.
2: Revisit the price once you know your in price.

Once it's out of preorder phase, there's a 3rd and 4rd step:
3: Compare your price to your competition
4: gosub 3;

Webshops compare prices. Once they know their margins and their competitors prices, they know how much they can and/or need to cut.

Last edited by volt; 2011-09-01 at 12:47.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
You misundereadwronglyed that.

Not N9 vs GSII, but newegg vs othereggs.

Once webshop 1 and webshop 2 starts actually start selling the N9's they've had for preordering, and webshop 3 and webshop 4 start selling them too, the price of the N9 will drop on both webshop 1 and webshop 2. It's often a two step process with preorders:

1: Put out a guesstimate price, allow preorders with a price reservation.
2: Revisit the price once you know your in price.

Once it's out of preorder phase, there's a 3rd and 4rd step:
3: Compare your price to your competition
4: gosub 3;

Webshops compare prices. Once they know their margins and their competitors prices, they know how much they can and/or need to cut.
Ah, I gotcha. Then the question becomes: Who ARE these competitors that will carry and sell N9's? Near as I can tell, there aren't a whole lot of them.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Ah, I gotcha. Then the question becomes: Who ARE these competitors that will carry and sell N9's? Near as I can tell, there aren't a whole lot of them.
In Norway (not on Nokias availability list) a whole bunch of (multi-market Swedish owned, mainly, Sweden is on the availability list) regular web shops already have them up. Price difference between 16gb and 64gb is neglectable; about 10%. Once these start selling, I assume the real price difference will be bigger. Unless they are going to move as many/more 64gb's as 16gb's.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Buy/Pre-Order?

Do we seriously believe that this device will ever see day light? It's 75 days or so since I first tweeted my excitement about the N9. 74 days ago I was disappointed. 73 days ago I regained hope. 72 days ago I was excited again....so forth so forth and 1 day ago I was disappointed. Today however is no different.

Painful self inflicting curse we all have for these sort of devices. Let's try to get Pre 3's or something else to ease the pain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
In Norway (not on Nokias availability list) a whole bunch of (multi-market Swedish owned, mainly, Sweden is on the availability list) regular web shops already have them up. Price difference between 16gb and 64gb is neglectable; about 10%. Once these start selling, I assume the real price difference will be bigger. Unless they are going to move as many/more 64gb's as 16gb's.
That's very microeconomic, now tell me how that will ACTUALLY effect N9 prices in general, or who will make for competition elsewhere--you know.. the world. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
That's very microeconomic, now tell me how that will ACTUALLY effect N9 prices in general, or who will make for competition elsewhere--you know.. the world. :P
Well, as there is no world availlability, it is hard to look at it differently than on a country by country basis. In Switzerland, the N9 is listed in more than 30 online shops. In countries where it will be officially released, there will be competition.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Buy/Pre-Order?

Do we seriously believe that this device will ever see day light? It's 75 days or so since I first tweeted my excitement about the N9. 74 days ago I was disappointed. 73 days ago I regained hope. 72 days ago I was excited again....so forth so forth and 1 day ago I was disappointed. Today however is no different.
I think I remember that a release in end september has always been the most plausible hypothesis since the first week after anouncement... no reason to be disapointed much more after that.

*shrug*

i have just observed that prices always drop within the first week or two. street price tend to be different from preorder price.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Let's try to get Pre 3's or something else to ease the pain.
It seems that the Pre 3 will only be available on contract, at least in the UK. I guess the carriers are looking to snag all those people that bought a cheap TouchPad.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
It seems that the Pre 3 will only be available on contract, at least in the UK. I guess the carriers are looking to snag all those people that bought a cheap TouchPad.
They are trying but I dont think it will work. Same reason why the Touchpad would not sell like hot cakes if it came with a 24 month contract.

The PRE3 as a stand alone device is great but if one was to get a 2 year/18month contract then why not go for a more popular and widely known Android device? failed logic.

Though the touch to share between webOS devices is a sweet function that i wouldnt mind having.

Don't see the point in preordering phones. I buy it when its available, until then nokia may even have clarified its strategy regarding Meego and Qt. That's what I hope, not very keen to buy another DOA product like the N900. The N9 will be my only handset in use, so it better delivers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, winding down