Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
3G video calling is the standard; skype is the walled garden.
I agree it would be nicer if the Skype protocol was open to implement for any developer.

But where is the walled garden in being able to choose your internet connection when using Skype?

imo 3G is the standard developed to milk mobile network customer's cash. If it wasn't it might have actually grown some user base after front camera's got introduced on mobile phones many years.

Skype has a lot of advantages. It is popular. The video calling is there if you choose to use it.
It gives that N900 front camera on at least a few hours of play time before it gets recycled.

Have you ever succeeded calling an unsuspecting friend in Video on his Linux or windows PC with standard 3G videocal? Sitting outside without extra cost? Without dragin a laptop?
I vote for both 3G videocall (because it is the standard especially for India) and Skype integration (because it is useful and has videocal)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
But where is the walled garden in being able to choose your internet connection when using Skype?
Hint: You need a Skype account. The person you want to call needs a Skype account. You cannot choose which service provider you want to sign up with. It needs to be Skype. That's where the name comes from.

With 3G video calls (or SIP, for that matter, which is a standard as well), you're free to choose any provider you want; you can switch providers, and - most important of all - you needn't force your contacts to sign up with your provider as well. This is the most important point with standards.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Have you ever succeeded calling an unsuspecting friend in Video on his Linux or windows PC with standard 3G videocal? Sitting outside without extra cost? Without dragin a laptop?
I have always succeeded in calling people on their phones with standard video calls. I needn't worry if they're on Skype, if they're signed in, if they're even online... As long as I have their phone number, it works. (Well - and as long as they don't own an N900 ...)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ malaysia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
3G video calling is the standard; skype is the walled garden.
my intention to raise this issue in this thread is not to argue or discuss which one is better,even some of us live in native country not mean we didn't know about this communication technology.we all know which is one is better to use and how it cost to us..

i'm just asking or try to drag some intention from hacker or developer out there for this function to help or give support to others because this function or application is much useful and handy for some people in this community.maybe for some people here it a most awaiting app for them...not for your country,but sure for mine or others...

NOKIA mean
"connecting people not to disappointing people"

MAEMO.org mean
"open source community not to close all their resource to comunity"

The wierd thing is that h3g in italy sells n900.... but h3g was the first to sell phone to videocall... they came into the market telling everybody that the future is videocall.... and n900 can't videocall !?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Mr.Rent View Post
they came into the market telling everybody that the future is videocall.... and n900 can't videocall !?
People were slated for buying into the internet rather than into concord....look where they are now!

Fact is, people are often wrong.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I don't know anyone who uses Windows, so Skype video calling doesn't work as it apparently uses some newfangled windows-only-so-far codec/protocol. That may change but at the moment I need mates to use in browser integrated google video talk plugin if I want phone to computer video.

Anyway, I'm pro 3G cellular based video, if only for completeness. The author of fMMS is our best bet, but he'll probably like some help. There is presumably a weird initialisation sequence transmitted before the channel is opened, then qcif res 3gp video and amr audio are shoved over the pipe.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by azizija View Post
ha ha..im also still using 2 phone right now..1 for calling,sms and of coz for video calling over 3G with my friends and for my N900 is use for internet and networking during travelling or outstation..hope i can stick to one phone next time..still waiting the moment become truth..
Are you using 1 sim card or 2 sim cards?

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Are you using 1 sim card or 2 sim cards?
im using 2 sim card,1 for my old number with my N95 8GB and the other sim is with internet subscription at my N900..

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Question for those of you here:

Why video call over 3g ?

The GSM operators will discover in the near future
their service reduced to voice calls and internet access
due to the simple fact they must charge far more
to implement 'video calls' than what skype and a lot of other
apps already do over the internet.

The cost of implementing video over a network
of which only some minor fraction of customers will ever use
has got to be orders of magnitude greater than the
cost of you and your contact(s) simply installing
skype, linphone or whatever.

Or is there some other urgent reason I need to shell out another
chunk of my paycheck each month to my telco provider
to pay for the cost of implementing a service which only
1% of their customers will ever actually use?
... because the telco charge everyone for making this possible.
It's because with 3g video call you could call someone anytime anywhere under then sun(even moon) as long as he/she has a signal. On Skype the person you need to contact to need to be online first before you can video call him/her. Do you know now the difference between the two?
Now my question:

Why say no to video call over 3g ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post: