Active Topics

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
1) ATT and T-Mob are the only choices for the States.
2) Only ATT has a pre-paid plan for data....and it's not a real good deal.
3) Doesn't look like T-Mob is going to subsidize the N900.
4) Don't expect any tel-co to inform you correctly or steer you in the right direction!!
For both TMobile and ATT in the US you will pay 35USD/month for a data only plan. Same terms apply there as on other data plans in terms of restrictions on streaming, tethering, and the like.

Pre-Paid data in the US is a joke; its not even worth considering.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
For both TMobile and ATT in the US you will pay 35USD/month for a data only plan. Same terms apply there as on other data plans in terms of restrictions on streaming, tethering, and the like.

I think the minimum on T-mobile is T-Mobile Total Internet for $39.99 before taxes, which effectively becomes $50~55 after taxes.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
These are pre-paid plans, correct?
Yes, but with a 30 day contract rather than the usual 18 months. You can sign up for 12 months and get slightly better terms.

The Following User Says Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Yes, but with a 30 day contract rather than the usual 18 months.
The 30-day rolling contract comes in two variants. One is fully pre-paid which means you must "top up" in advance if you want to do anything beyond the contract services (e.g. international roaming). There's also a post-paid 30-day rolling contract, which you can only get if you pass their credit check.

T-Mobile UK just announced that they are going to merge with Orange UK. I've had terrible customer service from Orange in the past, so this is bad news for me. However, at least T-Mobile UK and Orange UK both allow you to connect to the internet without going through their proxies. And in any case, T-Mobile and Orange said that they'll keep their product lines and branding separate for at least 18 months.

Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean

The T-Mob & ATT plans you mention are post-paid with a two year contract, correct?
Occasionally, one of the MVNO companies will pop up with a decent pre-paid plan. But they're often short lived (if they even get off the ground at all.)

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
The T-Mob & ATT plans you mention are post-paid with a two year contract, correct?
Occasionally, one of the MVNO companies will pop up with a decent pre-paid plan. But they're often short lived (if they even get off the ground at all.)
Post-Paid, not sure if they require a contract or not (yet).

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
3) Doesn't look like T-Mob is going to subsidize the N900.
What makes you say that T-Mobile won't subsidize the device?

I have a tmobile usa unlimited data contract, for $20 per month. I signed up for it about a year ago and specifically asked if i could tether my tm506 to be used as a modem. The answer was 'of course, and you have no limits on your monthly bandwith' . Unless something has changed, i still believe to be under that contract, and still pay 20/mo.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
The 30-day rolling contract comes in two variants. One is fully pre-paid which means you must "top up" in advance if you want to do anything beyond the contract services (e.g. international roaming). There's also a post-paid 30-day rolling contract, which you can only get if you pass their credit check.

Roger
Sweet!
Between this type of thing and the various "bolt on" post-paid options, you Brits seem to have one of the more favorable mobile phone environments.

Originally Posted by dannyo View Post
What makes you say that T-Mobile won't subsidize the device?
I should add "at this time....and for the near future....at least 6 months or so."
That just seems to be the way it's turning out:

1) There are, and have been, no U.S. T-Mobile indications that the N900 is in their plans. (This possible T-Mobile subsidy has all been speculation because of the particular 3G bands in the N900.)
There have also been unofficial reports (from T-Mobile people) that say they are not going to offer it anytime soon.

2) T-Mobile might want to only be offering a couple of super-smartphones right now anyway.
See post #18 on the previous page of this thread.

3) Then there is the Nokia VP announcing that Nokia will not allow any carrier to screw around with the phone.
I would say that this pretty much wraps it up for now because of the frightening way that the U.S. carriers are continuing to operate (which ain't the Nokia way.)
By the way, this story is in the TOP 5 threads of this very forum.
I gotta admit, I really admire the gutsy policy of Nokia. Outside of a small number of handsets, they generally have always refused to play along with ATT, T-Mob, Sprint and Verizon.
I'll be glad to buy my N900 for the best price I can find. I'll stick some T-Mobile or ATT card in it (hell, doesn't matter which one, I'll probably be at EDGE speeds half of the time anyways), I'll do my heavy data via WiFi, and I'll still have the benefits of using the most powerful & capable computer-phone made today.
EDIT:
Here is the link to the official Nokia / Reuters announcement of how Nokia is NOT going to bend to the demands of the carriers (at least where the N900 is concerned.)
http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...8831A20090909?
I hope I have answered your question. ( A simple click on the Thanks button would let me know that someone appreciated this information.)

Last edited by kenny; 2009-09-10 at 13:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post: